VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was working on a 486 build last night and I used some cheap CPU heat-sink compound from china.
It is okay but it separates in the tube and becomes mostly oil.
So it ended up separating between the CPU and heat-sink and made a mess of the zif socket.
The compound leaked all over the zif socket.
So now I need to clean the CPU pins and zif socket.

What is the best way to go about this ?

I know, I usually use Arctic-4 compound but I ran out. So I thought I would try this stuff.
BIG mistake.

Reply 1 of 5, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would have removed the upper sliding part of the socket, and flushed the fixed part generously with some electronics cleaning spray. It should readily dissolve oil/grease. The loose sliding part can be cleaned with water and dishsoap to save spray.

Just be careful when you remove the sliding part, that old plastic might have become quite brittle with time.

Reply 2 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kaputnik wrote:

Would have removed the upper sliding part of the socket, and flushed the fixed part generously with some electronics cleaning spray. It should readily dissolve oil/grease. The loose sliding part can be cleaned with water and dishsoap to save spray.

Just be careful when you remove the sliding part, that old plastic might have become quite brittle with time.

Oh, how do I remove the top part of the zif socket ? Does it just slide off ?
Which way does it slide off ( Forward or backward ).

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Oh, how do I remove the top part of the zif socket ? Does it just slide off ?
Which way does it slide off ( Forward or backward ).

I've done this a few times by using a flatbed screwdriver. I needed to do this as I had a working motherboard gifted to me which had its previous user break the socket lever, so I used a socket lever of a broken board to repair mine and it worked! 😁

But it's easy to break something and tbf, a flatbed screwdriver did feel somewhat crude to me.
I'm not sure if your CPU socket is build the exact same way, but the sockets I pulled apart were s370/sA sockets and basically were top parts that were latched on top of the bottom parts. I needed to slide the flatbed screwdriver into slots located at the sides of the CPU socket and bend them slightly outward (kinda like when using a screwdriver when unlatching a CPU HSF clamp).

And remember, it's all at your own risk. I cannot be held responsible if you end up accidentally stabbing your gold fish yada yada.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd use a hair dryer for ten minutes or so on the ZIF socket. After that, the cheap thermal compound should have become dry and firm. Then, use a brush while holding the board upside down to clean the socket. Use compressed air afterwards to blow out any remains. Finally, soak the brush with isopropyl and give it a final clean.