VOGONS

First post, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 1GB low-density (16 chip) DDR memory module. Based on what I saw in the Intel 855 chipset datasheet I thought this should work with both early and later versions of this Pentium M chipset (I have laptops with both). But I tried it and in both systems it prevents it from POSTing.

Then I saw that there is a damaged pin. I thought about trying to test for continuity, I would probably have to find two safety pins or something to use as probes, the pins are so dang small. Here is a pic with +10 closeup lens. Any trick to repairing this?

Big version: http://www.hyakushiki.net/sodimm2.JPG

Attachments

• sodimm.JPG
    Filename
    sodimm.JPG
    File size
    178.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My immediate thought was to mask off the unaffected area and use some silver conductive paint but I'm not a EE, there may be a better solution.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Flux the hell out of it (liquid flux works better for this) and just run the soldering iron tip with a really, really tiny amount of solder on over it. The contacts are so small that it will definitely bridge and the flux will prevent joining them all together.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That doesn't look like the pad is broken and the two pads aren't shorting either. You would still want to push the gap between the two pads clean though, a knife would work there but be careful, this is a multilayer board and if you manage to dig into the board you'll likely expose one of the inner layers and then things can get pretty iffy. If the pad actually is broken don't bother trying to fix it with solder or paints unless you want to ruin that pin on your memory socket.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I gave it a shot but I guess it's just a junk module. Massaged the suspect pin with a knife and tried it again in a Toshiba Portege M200 (with 855PM rev. B1 chipset). This laptop has two slots and with a known-good DIMM in the other slot the system would at least POST. It recognized the additional RAM, but would not boot Windows, only DOS, and there was garbage on the screen in text mode.

So I went a step further and taped-off the adjacent pins, applied a tiny amount of flux, and managed to cover the "hole" with solder. Amazed that it worked on the first try, and since the solder was only on the upper half of the pin I thought it was still safe to insert as long as it didn't go in too deep. But this mod didn't yield any improvement, the Toshiba still acted the same as before, only booting to DOS and with screen corruption in text mode. I didn't have any program handy that would test the memory from DOS, but I'm assuming it would have failed.

Ultimately I wasn't able to verify whether the 855PM rev. A3 chipset in the NEC would recognize a 1GB stick.