VOGONS

First post, by Jubal the Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I have recently acquired two ABIT BP6 motherboards. Both will not boot, however neither provides BIOS beep codes nor do they display errors on my motherboard diagnostics chip. After hours of troubleshooting, I think I have a solution, though I want to run it by you all before I pull the trigger on a new Ebay thing:

I have two 533 MHz Celeron procs. Those required a BIOS flash to work with the BIOS. Would this cause my no-display issue without a beep code on both boards?

Steps I've already taken:
I have swapped the RAM between PC66 32 MB and PC 100 128 MB,
reduced capacity to one stick,
reduced CPU count to only one (tried to boot with both CPU socket one and two)
tested the 20-pin connector of my power supply with a multimeter (one 5V rail read 4.8V... but that was the only anomaly)
tried 6 different graphics cards (PCI and all different speeds of AGP)
replaced the CMOS battery,
and discharged the CMOS after each change.

pwease hewp me. uwu.

Reply 1 of 4, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jubal the Wizard wrote:
Hey all, […]
Show full quote

Hey all,

I have recently acquired two ABIT BP6 motherboards. Both will not boot, however neither provides BIOS beep codes nor do they display errors on my motherboard diagnostics chip. After hours of troubleshooting, I think I have a solution, though I want to run it by you all before I pull the trigger on a new Ebay thing:

I have two 533 MHz Celeron procs. Those required a BIOS flash to work with the BIOS. Would this cause my no-display issue without a beep code on both boards?

Steps I've already taken:
I have swapped the RAM between PC66 32 MB and PC 100 128 MB,
reduced capacity to one stick,
reduced CPU count to only one (tried to boot with both CPU socket one and two)
tested the 20-pin connector of my power supply with a multimeter (one 5V rail read 4.8V... but that was the only anomaly)
tried 6 different graphics cards (PCI and all different speeds of AGP)
replaced the CMOS battery,
and discharged the CMOS after each change.

pwease hewp me. uwu.

very possibly yes - I've seen boards that won't do anything if they don't have the proper BIOS update for the installed CPU. Any way you can easily snag a supported CPU to update the BIOS?

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 2 of 4, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the PSU work on another motherboard?
Because measuring the voltage at the plug does not mean it works as intended.
If you can exclude the PSU from being the problem then you can move further.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jubal the Wizard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nvm1 wrote:

Does the PSU work on another motherboard?
Because measuring the voltage at the plug does not mean it works as intended.
If you can exclude the PSU from being the problem then you can move further.

Yes, it works with other motherboards I have.

Reply 4 of 4, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try hotflashing both BIOS chips on another board that supports DIP-32 chips using an up-to-date BIOS file (https://soggi.org/motherboards/abit/BP6.htm has most of the files you'll need) and then test it again. I'm pretty sure this is a issue where the CPU isn't supported in your current BIOS revision.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB