VOGONS

First post, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys - just wanted to share my experience on getting a Gotek to work on my IBM p75 - it took a few days to work out exactly what to do, and what mistakes I made along the way.

As I'm sure all vintage IBM owners can attest to - the proprietary floppy drives on IBMs are a headache. I managed to get my Gotek Floppy emulator working with just a few simple mods.

The Gotek floppy emulator can be made to run on different IBM machines, on some older machines (PS/1. AT etc), you need only to remove the power pins and and ground pin 4. On newer (PS/2's), you need 5 resistors soldered onto 5 pins and the other end hooked up to the power supply.

The full instructions and video are here: http://www.retropaq.com/adding-a-gotek-emulator-to-ibm-75/

I know that this has been posted before, but the instructions in the other post were not using a Gotek, and also not really clear on how to implement.

A must read note for those using a P70 / P75:

The IBM P75's reference diskette does not allow for any other choice of the built in floppy aside from a 1.44 3.5 inch drive, BUT, if you hookup the Gotek incorrectly, it will seem to work and it will address it as a 5.25 inch 1.2mb floppy drive. However the IBM will NOT UPDATE THE DRIVE TYPE shown in the refdisk program. This means, it will SAY 1.44MB 3.5 inch, but in reality, its set at 1.2 MB 5.25 inch.

This means the Gotek can "appear" to be working, by this I mean the Gotek if not setup properly, will have the IBM P75 "see" the drive as a 5.25 1.2MB drive - meaning that it will be able to read some 1.44 images and also write to them, thinking they are 1.2 5.25 images. It is this writing to the image part that caused me days of headache as after accessing the image files they start to corrupt. Then if you correct the problem with the Gotek and set it so that the IBM sees it as a 3.5 inch 1.44mb drive, the old images on the USB won't work properly. You will need to download / create fresh images for it to work.

If you this happens, you will need to remove the CMOS battery to clear all settings and start over with setting up the P75. You will need new refdisk images as if you boot a misconfigured Gotek in a P70 / P75, it will also alter the refdisks making them NOT BOOTABLE in a properly configured system.

Hope this helps someone!