VOGONS

First post, by obitus1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. I have a Socket 5 Pentium board with a 100MHz CPU, the ASUS P54SP4. The board does not post. If I plug in a beeper speaker, I get no beep codes, even after removing everything (including the RAM) except the CPU. IF I remove the CPU, it does not beep either. So, I removed the BIOS chip, put it in my Superpro 601P programmer and reprogrammed the SST 29EE010 with the most recent BIOS for the board. Powering it on still gives no beep codes and no post. The board is getting power, as the CPU fan spins up, and the voltage regulator on the board is producing 3.3V.

Any ideas on where else to look?

Many thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try replacing the capacitors. They're probably dry.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 5, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you post a few high resolution pictures of the board in its current configuration?
Perhaps a jumper error or other fault you can't immediatly spot might be the cause. These old boards don't have many caps, and the ones I have with a few bad caps atleast still all post.
So I suspect another problem as cause for the not booting.

Reply 5 of 5, by obitus1990

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, I removed the clock, and did the hack to connect a CR-2032 battery to the legs of the chip that are embedded in the clock module resin. Still nothing. That was one of the first things I did, actually, after finding this board, as I had to do the same with a ASUS P55T2P4 board I have.