VOGONS

help to replace PSU

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-StarTech-ATXPOW4 … dcAAOSwa2tcnO6u here is the exact version of the 450watt I had, down to the fan design and stickers. Although it is a 400 instead, should be pretty overkill for your needs. It uses some mid grade Teapo caps, which you might want to check for failure. Just happened to stumble across it in my email notifications that I had marked for ebay keywords.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 23 of 44, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-StarTech-ATXPOW4 … dcAAOSwa2tcnO6u here is the exact version of the 450watt I had, down to the fan design and stickers. Although it is a 400 instead, should be pretty overkill for your needs. It uses some mid grade Teapo caps, which you might want to check for failure. Just happened to stumble across it in my email notifications that I had marked for ebay keywords.

ok i will keep that in mind as the shipping and import charge for in the uk

Reply 24 of 44, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i think i found a psu that fits what i am looking for

is this one a good one

seasonic S12II 430w

https://seasonic.com/s12ii

switch S12ii 430w in drop down menu on the top right of info on page

SPECIFICATIONS
SS-430GB
Technical Specifications
80PLUS® Bronze
Form Factor Intel ATX 12 V
Dimensions 140 mm (L) x 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H)

Fan Information
Fan Size 120 mm
Fan Control Seasonic S2FC
Fan Bearing Fluid Dynamic Bearing
Life Expectancy 50,000 hours at 40 °C, 15 % - 65 % RH
Cable Information Modularity Fixed cable
Cable type Flat black cables

Electrical Features
Operating Temperature 40 °C
MTBF @ 25 °C, excl. fan 100,000 hours
AC Input Full Range
Protection
OPP, OVP, UVP, SCP

Safety and Environmental
Safety and EMC
cTUVus, TUV, Gost-R, UkrTEST, CB , BSMI, Semko, CCC, CE, FCC, C-tick

Environmental Compliance
Energy Star, RoHS, WEEE, REACH

Warranty 5 Years

Power Output
AC Input Voltage: 100 V - 240 V
Current: 7 A
Frequency: 50 Hz - 60 Hz
DC Output Rail +3.3 V +5 V +12 V1 +12 V2 -12 V +5 VSB
Maximum Power 20 A 20 A 17 A 17 A 0.8 A 2.5 A
130 W 360 W 9.6 W 12.5 W
Total continuous power 430 W

Reply 25 of 44, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

20A is weak for the 5V rail when we're talking about an AXP 3200. Try to find one of the Startech ATXPower300 PSUs as they've got the right power distribution for that CPU and motherboard.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 26 of 44, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

20A is weak for the 5V rail when we're talking about an AXP 3200. Try to find one of the Startech ATXPower300 PSUs as they've got the right power distribution for that CPU and motherboard.

300w psu isnt enough according to psu calulators where it nearing 400w - 450w

most of the psu i looking at are in the states, not the uk and hoping not to have to import and pay customs tax and high shipping

Reply 27 of 44, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robhalfordfan wrote:

most of the psu i looking at are in the states, not the uk and hoping not to have to import and pay customs tax and high shipping

Don't trust online PSU calculators, they're nearly always related to PSU sellers and they overestimate what power you need to make you buy a beefier PSU (obviously more expensive) than what you really need.

Reply 28 of 44, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shiva2004 wrote:
Robhalfordfan wrote:

Don't trust online PSU calculators, they're nearly always related to PSU sellers and they overestimate what power you need to make you buy a beefier PSU (obviously more expensive) than what you really need.

ok cause i read somewhere my graphic card (ati 9800 se) need at lease 300w and use a floppy cable to power it

Reply 29 of 44, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robhalfordfan wrote:
shiva2004 wrote:
Robhalfordfan wrote:

ok cause i read somewhere my graphic card (ati 9800 se) need at lease 300w and use a floppy cable to power it

No. It has a TDP of around 50W.

Reply 30 of 44, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

would someone do a break down of what power each part uses based on specs in first post

i am confused, i would like to keep it efficiency, not overkill and also incase i want to add parts more to it later on

what is tdp

Reply 31 of 44, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Max TDP for the CPU is 76.8W, all from the 5V rail. GPU TDP is 50W, as I mentioned. The KT600 and matching south bridge are known to be very parsimonious on power, so you're probably not much more than 50W for everything else.

Reply 33 of 44, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything but the CPU will use a mix of 5V and 12V. The CPU drives the requirements for the 5V rail. Everything else is fairly balanced and modest.

Reply 34 of 44, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Everything but the CPU will use a mix of 5V and 12V. The CPU drives the requirements for the 5V rail. Everything else is fairly balanced and modest.

thinking of maybe ditching the mobo and processor etc in that build and rebuild a new xp era machine (XP Era Gaming Pc Help) and use my current xp machine for my windows 98 build as i have dual booted it before and works fine and my current xp machine use modern psu and had no problems that i have noticed and originally i wanted keep all intact but looking harder and almost impossible and thinking of just build a new xp era machine and use current p4 system as my windows 98 build in future

Reply 35 of 44, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Enermax, my go to brand since my early retro machine days.

Perhaps this one will work for you, plenty of power on all rails - https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Enermax-EG365P-V … ukAAOSwTkFcmUCA

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 36 of 44, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bige4u wrote:

Enermax, my go to brand since my early retro machine days.

Perhaps this one will work for you, plenty of power on all rails - https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Enermax-EG365P-V … ukAAOSwTkFcmUCA

the previous psu was also an enermax 450w branded but it the transformer inside died after maybe about just under a year or so after using it and that where it got me thinking maybe it was overkill for the system

Reply 37 of 44, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Max TDP for the CPU is 76.8W, all from the 5V rail. GPU TDP is 50W, as I mentioned.

I hope you are aware that TDP is not the same as power consumption. TDP is only the amount of power drawn that is turned into heat. Power consumption is higher than TDP, and most manufacturers only tell the TDP for a good reason (to hide how power-hungry the parts really are).

Robhalfordfan wrote:

That is correct, but does not mean what you concluded. You'll need a PSU with 300 watts to power a whole PC when using that graphics card, not just for the graphics card alone. That's what PSU recommendations for graphics cards generally mean.

Reply 38 of 44, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
I hope you are aware that TDP is not the same as power consumption. TDP is only the amount of power drawn that is turned into he […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

Max TDP for the CPU is 76.8W, all from the 5V rail. GPU TDP is 50W, as I mentioned.

I hope you are aware that TDP is not the same as power consumption. TDP is only the amount of power drawn that is turned into heat. Power consumption is higher than TDP, and most manufacturers only tell the TDP for a good reason (to hide how power-hungry the parts really are).

Robhalfordfan wrote:

That is correct, but does not mean what you concluded. You'll need a PSU with 300 watts to power a whole PC when using that graphics card, not just for the graphics card alone. That's what PSU recommendations for graphics cards generally mean.

yeah it all confusing to me and thought psu power for graphics cards was what the card alone need and also a little extra for the other components in system, sorry learn something new and stuff like tdp etc all confuses me

Reply 39 of 44, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to make an educated guess but also tell you how I came up with it. 😀
Some general thoughts first:
-People tend to overprovision heavily on their PSU and recommend the same. "Better safe than sorry!" Online discussions promote this behaviour. People tend to repeat those recommendations without ever having seen actual measurements.
-PSU calculator results are rough estimates at best given by people selling PSUs. They are not objective at all.
-GPU verdors' PSU recommendations are overexaggerated to reduce the number of unneccesary RMAs caused by sub par PSUs.
Then again nobody can really tell you the exact amount of power you need without measuring.
-The actual power a PSU has to supply depends not only on the main chips but also on further losses within the system (mostly heat losses within VRMs and electrical paths). Different motherboards will use different amounts of power to drive the same CPU.
-Chips of the same part number may require different amounts of power depending on factors like individual quality, stepping, temperature and quality (ripple) of the power supplied to them.
-TDP is a rough value to estimate the capacity of an adequate cooling solution. Manufacturers interpret this very differently.

That being said I will join the guessing game for an adequate PSU in your system: 😉
-Until somewhen in the mid 2000s AMD used to give their CPUs' TDP as the maximum actual power drawn at the maximum specified voltage at maximum specified operating temperature and at full load on all cores.
This means under normal conditions (gaming load with a decent cooler) your AthlonXP won't draw as much power as its TDP suggests. (Intel used to lean more towards an average expected heat output so their TDP is less reliable and the actual power consumption probably higher.)
-I remember being on LAN parties at a friend's house where twelve to sixteen people would power their entire systems including CRTs plus a LAN switch off the same circuit breaker (rated for 16A so ~3700W@~230V). Those were all AthlonXP/Pentium 4 era machines. We all had at least a 17inch CRT so I'd expect those to draw at least 70W each leaving ~2800W for twelve computers. This means on average none on them drew more than 250W at the wall. And that's a generous number.
-This German test draws a similar picture with a P4 2,53GHz and a Radeon 9800 Pro drawing 207.1W at the wall with a gaming load.
With PSUs back then generally being less efficient than today I'd reduce that by a fair 20% accounting for losses within the PSU and you get a power draw of ~160W for all components with a gaming load.
-AMD gives your CPU a 74.3W TDP rating meaning 74.3W CPU power consumption worst case within spec. Say 80W draw from PSU worst case accounting for motherboard VRM losses. Good cooling reduces that number.
-Your chipset is probably below 10W total, much of it coming from the 3.3V rail.
-Your two sticks of RAM should be at about 5W each but probably taking from the +3.3V rail as well.
-According to this @stock the Radeon 9800 Pro draws up to about 27W from the +5V rail, 14W from the +3.3V rail and 23W from the +12V rail AGP slot and Molex combined. (BTW: AGP3.0 specifications allow for 6A@3.3V, 2A@5V and 1A@12V maximum power drawn from the AGP slot.)
-Lastly add a lot of smaller ICs for a total of say 15W on the +5V/+3.3V rail.
-Drive motors are usually all powered from the 12V rail.

With those things in mind as long as you keep your clocks @stock any 300W PSU that can continuously deliver 24A on a clean +5V rail (150W +5V & +3V combined) will be sufficient for your system even under heavy synthetic load. For gaming 20A@ +5V (130W +5V & +3V combined) are probably just enough to run stable. 😎

Again this is an estimate combining real world observations and what little reliable data on chips' power consumption there is. If anyone has more qualified insights or access to better data and comes to a different result I'm happy to be corrected and learn! 😀

Personally I buy reputable PSUs from back in the day, test them for function and recap them. All parts in a PSU can fail but the only actual weak points are fans and capacitors. To my knowledge everything else can die on a new PSU almost as likely as on an old one.
However with (almost all) nForce2 motherboards (which perform better than KT600 boards but you read about many problems with Win98 online) even on socket 462 Vcore is gained from 12V. If you want an AthlonXP with a modern PSU look for motherboards with nForce2 and 4pin P4 connector.