VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I just finished re-capping my old and beloved MSI K8N SLI which had some blown caps, the process went well (my first poly-mod, a complete success!), so I installed a CPU and some memory in order to test it.

When fitting the stock AMD heatsink that came with the Athlon 64 3700+ I'm using, I noticed that pushing the lever that brings down the heatsink on the CPU causes the motherboard to warp horribly near that area! It's not just slightly bent, it's a noticeable curvature! The metal plate that goes in the back is supposed to prevent this, but it seems to be doing nothing...

I didn't take pictures as I removed it immediately, then I tried a Deepcool heatsink I had lying around and this one also causes the board to warp, although not as much as the stock one. I tested it for a while and it works great, but I'm not really comfortable leaving these heatsinks on, especially after going through the whole re-capping effort...

Now, I don't remember having that problem when I bought the board back in 2005 or so (had a 3200+ with stock heatsink), but maybe I didn't pay attention back then. So, has this happened to someone else? And can anyone recommend a 939 cooler that is less likely to warp the board so much? Preferably without that stupid lever 😒

Reply 1 of 6, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i never had a 939 machine, but i remember seeing that problem in some s462 motherboards, also in some 775 too
still, i think that since socket 754 up to fm2+ they all can use the same heatsink, my main machine is AM3+ with the stock cooler and does present a little bit of curvature
if you can't find a solution, i suggest that you can try a newer heatsink to see if the warping is still pressent

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

some s462 motherboards

S462 cooler can't warp the board, because it's connected only to socket. Boards with mounting holes for water cooling solutions and air supercoolers is different story.

And can anyone recommend a 939 cooler that is less likely to warp the board so much? Preferably without that stupid lever

Any cooler with its own backplate like Thermalright 128SE.

but I'm not really comfortable leaving these heatsinks on, especially after going through the whole re-capping effort

There shouldn't be any problem, PCB can handle prolonged warping. I've been using Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX (no backplate) on LGA775 boards without any problem for many years.
What any PCB can't handle well is regular bend/unbend cycle, hence all those scary stories about Aplle smartphones.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Board warpage is something that has concerned me ever since I first saw a CPU cooler that attached to the PCB instead of the CPU socket. For two Socket AM2 systems I use Thermaltake coolers which I modified by filing the locking lever to reduce the clamping force. There's no need for it to press down very hard on the CPU.

The backing plate can only do so much, often when removing one from an old board it is also warped.

Reply 5 of 6, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

There shouldn't be any problem, PCB can handle prolonged warping. I've been using Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX (no backplate) on LGA775 boards without any problem for many years.
What any PCB can't handle well is regular bend/unbend cycle, hence all those scary stories about Aplle smartphones.

Interesting, thanks for the info! I wasn't sure about the how well these boards tolerate being bent.

derSammler wrote:

Are you sure it is installed correctly?

I attach the metal clips to the tabs on the black retention frame, and then push down the black lever on the heatsink until it latches. Is there anything else to it? At least that's how I remember doing it back then.

In any case, pushing the lever seems to exert a huge amount of pressure on the black plastic frame around the CPU socket, the frame deforms to the point where it also bends the backplate that is screwed to it, and the board along with it. So it seems the bending is caused by this tension rather than the weight of the heatsink itself. This is why the board gets bent "upwards" near the CPU rather than "downwards" like when it's caused by heavy coolers. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Maybe a sturdier backplate could help, the one I have is made of metal but seems to bend easily.

Reply 6 of 6, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Board bending is not limited to socket 939.
Backplates (if present at all) do not always help, as the distance board-case varies.
Placing felt pads of suitable thickness under the socket often helped me to keep things straight, avoiding warping.