VOGONS

First post, by staticelement

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a video recording of a problem with a CRT monitor and was wondering if anyone has ran into this similar issue or could tell me what might be the problem? The video is here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RJmpJGdgAf8kE886A

Thanks in advance! 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

might be bad capacitors. that being said that thing is probably not worth fixing. just my opinion. i used to have a monitor like that. there was nothing wrong with it I just wanted better. This was probably 15 years ago. The CRTs that are more desirable are Trintitrons or Trintitron clones those are just tube monitors.

Reply 2 of 10, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Dell (Sony) monitor. Put it into storage a year or two, tested it and it went really dim. So the picture is there, but there's no brightness at all. Very capacitor sounding.

However, the case is in such poor condition I don't think there's much to be done with it.

Reply 3 of 10, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like the high voltage isn't even firing up, I could be wrong however, as it's been years since I have last fiddled with CRT monitors.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 4 of 10, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a similar issue with an old EIZO - as already stated it may strongly be related to a capacitor issue since the monitor at least "turns on"/green led.

If you're well versed in such things dive in, otherwise get another one. It also strongly depends on the tube's "freshness" if such a repair is a viable option.

Reply 5 of 10, by staticelement

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was actually brand new in it's box, just been sitting in storage for 17 years. I finally took it out, it worked for about an hour. It then stopped working and exhibits the behavior in the video. I did take it apart, visually everything looks brand new. I do not see any bad capacitors but I have not tested anything. I never worked on a power supply so I really do not know where to start.

I am aware of the high voltage present, I took the appropriate precautions while looking at the power board. I drained the anode and several large caps, I basically followed the service manual taking it apart.

Reply 7 of 10, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

Sounds like the high voltage isn't even firing up, I could be wrong however, as it's been years since I have last fiddled with CRT monitors.

If you are smoker, you can find out whether it has HV easily by dropping the ash in front of the crt.

Reply 8 of 10, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Considering it worked for an hour before it stopped producing high voltage (notice the power circuits driving the FBT kicking in and out with the clicking), I'd wager a guess that the caps on the power supply board are goners. Since you haven't got any experience working on this kind of stuff, I personally wouldn't recommend you touch anything in there. I'd probably just get another monitor in this case.

That being said, if you've done a few caps before on other boards and know what to change, it's worth a shot replacing ones that test bad (if you've got the ability to test the caps).

Reply 9 of 10, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
staticelement wrote:

It was actually brand new in it's box, just been sitting in storage for 17 years. I finally took it out, it worked for about an hour. It then stopped working and exhibits the behavior in the video. I did take it apart, visually everything looks brand new. I do not see any bad capacitors but I have not tested anything. I never worked on a power supply so I really do not know where to start.

I am aware of the high voltage present, I took the appropriate precautions while looking at the power board. I drained the anode and several large caps, I basically followed the service manual taking it apart.

That changes a lot - the tube's quasi pristine so it is worth trying to repair it. And yes, the caps wither away with or without use.

Reply 10 of 10, by pico1180

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just wanted to say. I replaced the front panel switches on a Sony CPD-100ES a few weeks ago and it was probably one of the most fun projects I've ever done. Easy to take apart. Easy soldering. Just a really super enjoyable project. If this is a capacitor issue it could be a lot of fun to tackle it. I've recapped motherboards and I just as soon remove my eyes with a spoon before ever doing it again... but this? This was fun.