VOGONS

First post, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I have bought very nice Xpertvision Geforce 4 MX440 8x 128MB for my Win98 PC. Build quality is very nice, the passive cooling is very pleasant for my ears and the video output is super sharp. The reference card from Nvidia is clocked at 275 MHz (GPU) and 500 MHz (memory) and even though my card has full speed GPU according to those specs, the memory is underclocked to disappointing 300 MHz. Tried to overclock it higher but couldn't get past 325 MHz - not surprising considering the memory chips are 7,5 ns.

I wonder, would it be possible to buy some DDR RAM module with sufficiently fast and compatible memory chips, salvage them and solder them on the graphics card? Then flash the BIOS so the memory speed is 500 MHz at default (would probably need 4 ns chips)? I have necessary equipment and enough experience with soldering to make it happen but I'm not sure if those chips are compatible at all.

Of course I could just buy another card but there is no guarantee that the next will be in full speed. So I would rather upgrade the RAM and be done with it.

Reply 1 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

buy some DDR RAM module with sufficiently fast and compatible memory chip

500 MHz at default (would probably need 4 ns chips)

Such modules does not exist. You can cannibalise some dead cards.

Xpertvision Geforce 4 MX440

Not worth it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 10, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not planning to overclock the GPU as it runs at full speed alresdy.Will the GPU get hotter when overclocking just memory? Even then to me the heatsink feels quite cool so I think there is a room for more juice. There is optional fan connector on the board but I would like to stay passive as this is the main reason why I got the card.

Reply 5 of 10, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yes, it will get hotter!

The Quadro NVS280, which is usually passive and technologically almost identical to GF 4/440, gets scorchingly hot even when system idles.

Reply 6 of 10, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paar wrote:

I'm not planning to overclock the GPU as it runs at full speed alresdy.Will the GPU get hotter when overclocking just memory? Even then to me the heatsink feels quite cool so I think there is a room for more juice. There is optional fan connector on the board but I would like to stay passive as this is the main reason why I got the card.

You could add a large heatsink, I use a Zalman VF-700 on my GeForce4 Ti. If ventilation inside the case is good there's a possibility you don't need to run the fan. Alternatively the fan on the VF-700 is very quiet if you use a speed reducer (basically a resistor on the Vcc line).

Reply 8 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will probably use 5 ns memory chips to boost memory to 400 MHz

DDR400 is mostly, if not all, is high density. So 8 chip equals 256mb or even 512mb. I doubt GeForce 4 MX can understand such high density chips.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 10, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:

Did you ever touch the heatsink?
Then you'll notice there is no headroom for overclock, at least not when passive cooled.

Not true. The MX460 came with a higher clock speed as stock. If the heatsink is very hot, then add a fan...

DDR400 is mostly, if not all, is high density. So 8 chip equals 256mb or even 512mb. I doubt GeForce 4 MX can understand such high density chips.

Right, chips used for system memory (DIMMs) tend to be larger and with narrower data bus than the ones intended to be used on video cards. The producers of cheap video cards with slow RAM tend to use these general purpose chips though, and that's how we end up with low end cards that have huge memory (like a GeForce 6200 with 512MB). BTW, GF4MX can go up to 128MB at least.

I'm interested in seeing somebody succeed at upgrading memory on a video card. (never tried it myself, since I have little experience soldering SMD parts to begin with)

I think the safest bet would be to find chips that match the ones already on the card, except with a higher speed grade. At least any manufacturer-specific properties of the chips should be compatible then. Another possibility would be to find a similar video card and see what chips it uses, and grab the BIOS from it as well.

FWIW, I have a GF4MX card with DDR-400 on it using these chips: Elpida DD2516AKTA-5C-E (I believe these are 16MB*16bit)

Reply 10 of 10, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried to find suitable memory module but have hard time to find 128MB 400MHz stick with 8 chips that are 16MBx16. There may be 256MB stick with 16 chips but haven't find those either. There are some suitable chips on eBay but it's 3 USD for one chip so it's not worthy price-wise.