VOGONS

First post, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I permanently set up my 386DX-40. Didn't find anything about the board itself except in another thread here that it's from Kai Mei. Reallyt a baby board.
When I bought it, the battery was already removed so I use 2xCR2032 in a case that is connected to the header for the external battery.
The 1-pin is clearly labeled so it +, I suppose the jumper to select internal/external battery is next to it. Since I don't find any info about the settings, I assume that 1-2 closed is for the 'internal' and 2-3 closed for external. I assume this because I've seen this pass in other threads on Vogons.
Either way, I have tried both but the CMOS settings are cleared every time. I measured the output of the batterypack and it's 5.9V. Could this be too much for this board?

I don't know if this is related, but somehow I always need to adjust the mixer volume settings for my SB Pro 2 in order to hear my MT-32.

Any thoughts on these problems?

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would help if you post a pic of the battery area
About SBPRO2 and mixer, do you have SB-SET running from autoexec.bat? You should have it there with the /LINE:xx option IIRC

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 11, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Keropi 😀

I'll try to look it up later this evening or tomorrow but the battery area looks pretty clean if I remember correctly.

Reply 3 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hiya!
not checking for damage but to see what the jumpers/headers are on this board 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 11, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:
Recently I permanently set up my 386DX-40. Didn't find anything about the board itself except in another thread here that it's f […]
Show full quote

Recently I permanently set up my 386DX-40. Didn't find anything about the board itself except in another thread here that it's from Kai Mei. Reallyt a baby board.
When I bought it, the battery was already removed so I use 2xCR2032 in a case that is connected to the header for the external battery.
The 1-pin is clearly labeled so it +, I suppose the jumper to select internal/external battery is next to it. Since I don't find any info about the settings, I assume that 1-2 closed is for the 'internal' and 2-3 closed for external. I assume this because I've seen this pass in other threads on Vogons.
Either way, I have tried both but the CMOS settings are cleared every time. I measured the output of the batterypack and it's 5.9V. Could this be too much for this board?

I don't know if this is related, but somehow I always need to adjust the mixer volume settings for my SB Pro 2 in order to hear my MT-32.

Any thoughts on these problems?

I suspect you have a jumper on clear cmos hence the clearing of the bios all the time.
I have an external pack that goes up to 6V and not a single board so far had issues. Some even needed atleast >5V to remember settings.

Reply 6 of 11, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

guZqcbql.jpg

BIOS settings were kept this morning. I turned the connector but it's weird since I already tried that before.
Second test is this evening.
I was totally wrong on the indication of the + pin on the board. There is no 1 to be seen, only on JP1 :p

SB Mixer problem is solved, now figure out why DOS gives me an error when smartdrv.exe is loaded...

Reply 7 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright then if settings are kept then you got it right 😀
nice
about smartdrv move it as a test to c:\ and load it from there, see if it works

Reply 10 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok copy it back to c:\DOS and alter the line in autoexec.bat - better yet just type it again from scratch
this is weird , it could be some SD-card corruption or something - I assume you did not notice this with other files?

Reply 11 of 11, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually the absolute maximum ratings with TTL-level related stuff is 5.5V.
You might damage the RTC stuff...

I recently replaced such a barrel battery with 3xAA alkaline cells plus diode.
This matches the original voltages very well over many years.