VOGONS

Help me choose what to build next ?

Topic actions

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, Help me on some options for what to build next.

1) A-10 Warhog theme dual P3 gaming computer.
2) Fatality theme gaming computer i5 CPU.
3) Sun Solaris 8.0 ,Intel x86, P3-500mhz. Gaming computer / workstation.
4) Intel 486dx4-100mhz VLB computer.
5) 486dx-50 ALL ISA computer.
6) ALL U.S.A. Parts 486dx2-66 VLB gaming computer. ( I put this on hold for a while but I can restart ).

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-07-16, 00:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 32, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I USA parts theme of any computer. Then put patriotic color sceme or political theme on it. Doesn't matter if its 486 Pentium 3 or whatever. Reason I suggest this one is because I know this one is the most challenging. Might require that we bend the rules saying something like supermicro is acceptable or something like that even if it was fabed in Taiwan or something if no USA made motherboard exists. hard to say. Open for discussion. 🤣

Reply 2 of 32, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I have the motherboard but it needs work. Only the floppy drive and cdrom are not USA.

What I have so far:
Motherboard
RAM
CPU
Hard-drive
VLB graphics card
Network card
Sound card
VLB controller
Power supply
SCSI card

USA Parts I Need:
cdrom
floppy drives
case

Floppy drives and CDROM will probably be japan because I don't see any USA made.
Case may have to be Chinese Lian Li because I don't see any other option.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 32, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And it needs to play the national anthem when it's booting.
Seriously, why do people need to tell you which PC you want/need to build??!!

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 9 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Solaris 8 __gaming__ build? I can understand the joys of Solaris (although I run it on Sparc, not x86), but one thing it's not great at is gaming. There's very little in the way of games available, and what I've seen in benchmarks shows Solaris to be slower than Linux, and Linux slower than Windows when it comes to games.

Reply 11 of 32, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:

I USA parts theme of any computer. Then put patriotic color sceme or political theme on it. Doesn't matter if its 486 Pentium 3 or whatever. Reason I suggest this one is because I know this one is the most challenging. Might require that we bend the rules saying something like supermicro is acceptable or something like that even if it was fabed in Taiwan or something if no USA made motherboard exists. hard to say. Open for discussion. 🤣

Flashing your nations flag colours, does not make it patriotic. Helping your country getting better on the other hand, is patriotic. That is why some Danish people, put small Danish flags in dog shits on the street's.

EDIT
Since the OP is from USA, it would be unwise to use any part of Stars And Stripes for anything other than the flags intended use. Like if the flag is not free hanging, then it is against the flag code. There is specific rules for carrying the flag. One of them is that it should always be carried free, only a few exceptions have ever been made.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 32, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
Flashing your nations flag colours, does not make it patriotic. Helping your country getting better on the other hand, is patrio […]
Show full quote
Warlord wrote:

Flashing your nations flag colours, does not make it patriotic. Helping your country getting better on the other hand, is patriotic. That is why some Danish people, put small Danish flags in dog shits on the street's.

EDIT
Since the OP is from USA, it would be unwise to use any part of Stars And Stripes for anything other than the flags intended use. Like if the flag is not free hanging, then it is against the flag code. There is specific rules for carrying the flag. One of them is that it should always be carried free, only a few exceptions have ever been made.

I just choose an A10 War Hog because there are allot of games on PC and Mac about this machine.
And I could put together a pretty neat all aluminum silver computer that would go great with this theme.
It would be a pre year 2000 gaming computer.

Reply 14 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brostenen wrote:

[...]

That is why some Danish people, put small Danish flags in dog shits on the street's.

Not to mention those pigs 😉

EDIT

Technically correct, but not something 'patriotic' Americans have ever really given a hoot about, plastering the Stars and Stripes over every and any part of cars in particular. In a lot of ways computer cases are in terms of aesthetics similar to cars, so it makes just about as much sense to put a flag on the side of a case as on the door of your car.

Murugan wrote:

De gustibus non est disputandum

Ita vero.

I like my cars and computer cases generally as understated as possible, with both my daily drive and case currently being simple unadorned black. In both cases I also like vintage stuff to look as authentic as possible, which tends to result in beige PCs and a motorcycle with an original red 'flare' paint job 😉

But the great thing about this hobby is you can do what you want, and I'm happy not to judge other people's designs so long as they show the same respect to me 😀

Reply 17 of 32, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Isn't the A-10 Warhog part of NATO ? Not only American.

Is it that hard to just check Wikipedia instead of expecting other people to do it for you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Repub … lt_II#Operators

The A-10 has been flown exclusively by the United States Air Force and its Air Reserve components, the Air Force Reserve Command (AFRC) and the Air National Guard (ANG).