VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday i try to swap different Pentium MMX in my SBC to find wich one is locked, after 10/15 Carefully CPU swap, tryng different multiplier, frequency ecc... the system whont boot!!! It Stop on

Updating ESCD... Success
Building DMI Pool

I have try to load bios default but nothing suceed... there is not on the SBC a reset bios jumper...

I'm terrified.... can I have broken the mainboard only by changing the CPU and trying to see which one was blocked? I have always done everything with extreme care and attention

My SBC is that one: PROX-1560S-N withot SCSI module installed

Thanks guys...

Reply 2 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course you can. A simple ESD is all that is needed to damage or destroy electronics. However, no one can really answer that based on your information.

It there a battery (coin cell) on the SBC? If so, remove it and short the battery terminals for some seconds. That should zap all BIOS settings. Also, try with no other cards installed apart from those really needed (which should be none for an SBC).

Reply 3 of 4, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With some BIOSes you explicitly to enable "Update ESCD Data" after hardware changes, or it won't update (and not run in consequence).

And yes, ESD is a killer. I am often amazed how little many people care until the expensive damage they caused made them change their behavior with microelectronics.

Reply 4 of 4, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Of course you can. A simple ESD is all that is needed to damage or destroy electronics. However, no one can really answer that based on your information.

It there a battery (coin cell) on the SBC? If so, remove it and short the battery terminals for some seconds. That should zap all BIOS settings. Also, try with no other cards installed apart from those really needed (which should be none for an SBC).

There is a Dallas DS12C887 that i put out for half days, is enough to reset the bios settings???

edit: i have read that is the chip dallas itself that store the bios settings, so put out not reset anithyng. I must buy a new one to test????