VOGONS

First post, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, hope you all are well.

So I got my hands on a full kit HP Jornada 728. Fully functional, new old stock, an excellent piece of equipment, but I am looking to find a use for it, even if that is using it as a nettop.

So I could use some help in figuring out a new use for it in 2019, or software to use with it, that will work on it so that any input would be much appreciated.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius

Reply 1 of 5, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey dude,

what kit did you get along with the Jornada? I sold my Jornada back in 2016 but I think I can give you some pointers. Getting on-line will be a problem as Jornada doesn't support WPA2. You will have to setup a separate router with WEP and keep it on a different subnet so as not to compromise your other computers.

Forget about browsing on it, most sites will not render correctly or show up at all. You can, however, still use it for e-mail as POP3 and SMTP are thankfully still doing just fine. You can also use it as a VT terminal, MP3 player, Word and Excel work just fine and the format is still supported. It's far too weak for any sort of video playback. There was a program called Palringo which would let you connect to various instant messaging services including Gtalk.

Oh yes, check out RedGear by Alpaxo Software. Easiest to download it here:
https://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/985/Alpax … r/version_1.0.2

Cheers

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 5, by daibido1123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am already rocking a Sub-net setup for my older handhelds like PSP and DS, its a Pi3 set up to also handle web browsing for my PC98 machine. So the Pi does all the work of rendering the web page, and the PC98 is remoting into it to display the page like a terminal station. Sorry if I'm not making much sense, English is not my first language.

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous
Confucius

Reply 3 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:

[...]

what kit did you get along with the Jornada? I sold my Jornada back in 2016 but I think I can give you some pointers. Getting on-line will be a problem as Jornada doesn't support WPA2. You will have to setup a separate router with WEP and keep it on a different subnet so as not to compromise your other computers.

Er, nope, neither WEP nor another subnet will help at all.

WEP is actually worse than no encryption at all, and can be cracked in <30sec with no skills, so you might as well have an open network. If you set AP isolation enabled on that SSID you reduce the attack surface on the Jornada significantly. To protect the rest of your network you need more than just a different subnet, anyone can sniff packets and figure out what range your other devices are using. To isolate the SSID it needs to be on a different VLAN. If your setup doesn't support VLANs, and you only use a single router/AP for WiFi, you can use the Guest network - under the hood that is a separate VLAN after all. However if you do that, no communication will be possible between the Jornada and the rest of your network, which sort of spoils the whole point of the device.

Instead, you need a router with firewall that can selectively allow certain types of traffic between the two VLANs. It's possible to get it all running safely, but it requires non-trivial knowledge and possibly other hardware (or at least firmware on the hardware) than you already have.

Reply 4 of 5, by powershoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if you're inclined to listen to or create music with a jornada, the sunvox tracker can run with gx.dll and aygshell.dll. most of the included example songs are far too powerful for the jornada's cpu though. some simpler songs can be coaxed into playing smoothly through changing a song's synths and effects parameters into LQ modes. an optimal audio buffer needs to be configured.

milkytracker 0.90.80 also functions after some configuration, but i do not remember how well it performs.

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
Er, nope, neither WEP nor another subnet will help at all. […]
Show full quote
Half-Saint wrote:

[...]

Er, nope, neither WEP nor another subnet will help at all.

WEP is actually worse than no encryption at all, and can be cracked in <30sec with no skills, so you might as well have an open network. If you set AP isolation enabled on that SSID you reduce the attack surface on the Jornada significantly. To protect the rest of your network you need more than just a different subnet, anyone can sniff packets and figure out what range your other devices are using. To isolate the SSID it needs to be on a different VLAN. If your setup doesn't support VLANs, and you only use a single router/AP for WiFi, you can use the Guest network - under the hood that is a separate VLAN after all. However if you do that, no communication will be possible between the Jornada and the rest of your network, which sort of spoils the whole point of the device.

Instead, you need a router with firewall that can selectively allow certain types of traffic between the two VLANs. It's possible to get it all running safely, but it requires non-trivial knowledge and possibly other hardware (or at least firmware on the hardware) than you already have.

Even better would be a highly filtered VLAN with mandatory authenticated VPN. What kind of VPN clients does the Jornada support?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder