VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I got this nice GeForce 2 GTS card... on some monitors (tested with 17" BenQ and 20" hp 2035) it behaves like on the left side pictures, while on my 15" Belinea, picture is OK! Friend of mine who sold me this card didn't had any problems like this with it...
I never in my 20+ year career seen card doing anything similar to this. Any ideas what's going on?

Attachments

• gf2gts.jpg
    Filename
    gf2gts.jpg
    File size
    295.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed very weird.. I've never had that happen before on any monitor over 20+ years either. I'd be interested to see what the cause/solution is. Possibly the cable? I know I've had bad cables that worked with one graphics card and not another cause weird ghosting -- but it looked wayyyy less than that. That's almost like smearing.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 3, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I usually had issues like these, it was mostly caused by a bad cable. Replacing it with a better, high quality cable usually cures the issue. Sometimes, a bad LCD panel could also give that smudged effect, I witnessed that on an old AOC 14" flat panel of a customer: no matter the cable I put, the picture always looked horizontally smudged. No difference between switching from the onboard graphics chip to the external graphics card, he always had the same issue so he just scrapped the monitor and got a new one.

Try to replace the cable, see if the picture improves.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 3 of 3, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup. Apparently it was a bad signal cable after all. I was sure I used different cable with 17" BenQ on a meetup where I got the card, but I'm not so sure right now... I don't remember either because... you know... beer.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg