VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently working on my Core2Quad build again, now that I have a cooler that can at least try to cool it when running at higher speeds. It's a Zalman 9500A LED. Anyways, I pushed my CPU up to 3.8GHz (448MHz FSB, 8.5x multiplier) and so far, the Zalman keeps it under 75c during Prime 95 load. The Arctic Freezer 7 would've had this CPU overheating at this point.

Anyways, I've ran into a snag, and that's the fact that while two of my cores are running at the 3.8GHz speed, the other two are running at roughly 2.68GHz. I have the high performance mode selected in power options, and I doubt this is a result of core parking, as it's apparently visible in Resource Monitor if you look at the CPU through there, and it doesn't mention any parked cores anywhere. Minimum CPU speed is 100% and maximum CPU speed is 100% in the advanced power management options. Double-checked it to make sure.

Full specs:

Asus P5K SE (P35 chipset)
Mushkin PC-8500 DDR2 4GB (2x2GB kit)
PNY XLR8 nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX OC
Corsair CMPSU-650TX
Western Digital Caviar GP 750GB
Lite-On DH-4O1S-08

Nothing in BIOS even mentions overclocking specific cores and leaving others alone. I'm not sure how or why this is happening, any help is greatly appreciated.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check their individual heat. Maybe the thermal compound inside is not spread equally leading to two cores overheating ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 5, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the temps, as Deksor said. Either the chip is ACTUALLY overheating (use an temperature gun) or the BIOS is reporting bogus temps. P5K SE and its EPU variant have an issue with R0 stepping CPUs where they will report bogus temperatures even if the chip is supported in the BIOS. I had this issue and replaced the mobo with a ECS G41T-M3 in my case.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 5, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't have one set of cores at full tilt, and other two throttle down, because Core 2 Quad from Desktop doesn't support this. There is only one clock for whole CPU (no per Core stuff).
So, reading on your monitoring software is wrong.

Either way, what Vcore you are using and do you have enough air flow over VRM ?

You can check in AIDA64 if CPU is throttling, however for best test I would use LinX (or IBT - IntelBurnTest).
With those, you can check performance difference across few loops.
When performance loops aren't the same, you have an issue (lower perf. = throttling).

@up Q9550 only has three stepping : C0, C1 and E0.

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a similar setup with Gigabyte GA-P43T-ES3G motherboard and Q9300. I never tried to over clock however.
The ALL copper base on the heatsinks are suppose to provide the best heat dispation.

Attachments