VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On my super socket 7 motherboard, I have a usb header. It consists of six pins in two rows, then a gap, then two more pins. So a 10 pin connector with pins 7 and 8 missing (or 3 and 4 depending on how it's connected, I guess).

Is there a standard or generic USB cable I can connect to this header?
If so, does Windows 98se support USB (since I plan on running Win98 on it)?
My interest is in possibly connecting USB mice, keyboards or USB MIDI devices to the computer, as well as flash drives.

Would it be worthwhile to try digging up or making such a cable, or should I just forget about it?

Reply 1 of 3, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, it wasn't standarized back then (just like PS/2 port connectors or even serial port connectors). You will need to look for the motherboard manual and the header pinout, then you can use any USB bracket and simply repin the connector accordingly.

Win98SE has 'good enough' USB support. If you want support for your modern pendrives without need to install drivers from time to time, then download and install this: http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

USB midi devices - depends on the drivers for these devices. If you have drivers for Win98 then they will work.

USB mice and keyboards should work out of the box.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 2 of 3, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, i have seen many socket 7 boards all with today's standard pinout for USB. Though, they usually don't have one missing pin for a key.
You can use multimeter to find the ground and +5V on USB pins to make sure you are good.

Those extra pins you have after gap might be for activity leds. During some period of time, USB ports had also LEDs that showed the activity on the port. (I even have one of such USB rear brackets)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 3, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes the extra pins are for ground... I know Lenovo does this with some ThinkCentre models.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif