VOGONS

ps/2 header

Topic actions

First post, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys, i got the lucky star 5MVP3 and the first thing i noticed is that th PS/2 mouse header i made for my older motherboard is not working. Does it need a different pinout? Does any of you have a schematic? A source of PS/2 brackets will be appreciated too.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 11, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is no standard for PS/2 header pinout.
Just take some adapter from one of the well known auction sites, take your multimeter or consult mobo manual to find out header pinout, and correct wiring of your particular adapter if it does not match.

Reply 4 of 11, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 5-pin header I recently brought in use has yet another pinout.
Again, there is no standard! Even posts that look identical can be completely different pinout.

Find the GND and +5V posts (measure conductivity to the power supply connectors' 5V and GND pins).
Find the not-connected pin (it should measure infinite no matter what polarity you connect the ohmmeter).
Then you have the data/clk pins. Connect them one way. If it does not work, you know you have to connect them the other way.
In short, it's simple!

Reply 5 of 11, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:
Try this: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today? […]
Show full quote

Try this: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

I had the same problem a few months ago 😁

file.php?id=50163&mode=view

Worked like a charm! Thank you.

Reply 6 of 11, by i2lgames

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retardware wrote:
The 5-pin header I recently brought in use has yet another pinout. Again, there is no standard! Even posts that look identical c […]
Show full quote

The 5-pin header I recently brought in use has yet another pinout.
Again, there is no standard! Even posts that look identical can be completely different pinout.

Find the GND and +5V posts (measure conductivity to the power supply connectors' 5V and GND pins).
Find the not-connected pin (it should measure infinite no matter what polarity you connect the ohmmeter).
Then you have the data/clk pins. Connect them one way. If it does not work, you know you have to connect them the other way.
In short, it's simple!

Great tip, i will try your way on my next motherboard!

Reply 7 of 11, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the most useful skills you will learn as a retro PC user is to safely remove pins from a 2.54mm header block and put them back in somewhere else. 😀 Small jewelers screwdrivers or SMD parts tweezers come in handy.

Reply 8 of 11, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SirNickity wrote:

One of the most useful skills you will learn as a retro PC user is to safely remove pins from a 2.54mm header block and put them back in somewhere else. 😀 Small jewelers screwdrivers or SMD parts tweezers come in handy.

Even then it's a PITA.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 11, by ericmnv777

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks retardware using your advice I was able to work out the pinout of my EILITEGROUP P5SV-B PS/2 header. It's different from every other pinout I found!
I've attached what worked for me here. Hopefully this will help someone else out in the future.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 11, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ericmnv777
Greetings from the not too distant future! The Pin1 =5V pinout works on my ECS P5VX-Be REV 3.0.
Maybe its an Elitegroup thing...
Thank you so very much!

Last edited by Demolition-Man on 2023-05-12, 18:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The two most common pinouts are here: Re: Native PS/2 mouse implementation for 386/486 boards using the keyboard controller

But I see the motherboard in this thread uses a totally different 5pin arrangement.