VOGONS

Pentium II Upgrade Problems

Topic actions

First post, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently grabbed a Pentium II 450MHz to upgrade my 350MHz off eBay for £8 - was excited for the 28% speed increase!!!

However, I've swapped it over today and it's causing all sorts of errors - memory problems, graphics distortions, system hangs, CMOS errors, etc. Is there some special procedure I should've done? Physically it looks fine, nothing obviously different - I changed the jumpers on my 440 motherboard to the correct ratio. I cleared the CMOS battery and reset settings to default.

Is it just faulty?

Xeon E3-1241v3 - 16GB DDR3 - Vega 56 - W10
PII 450MHz - 256MB SDRAM - Voodoo 3 3000 PCI - W98SE

Reply 2 of 29, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Señor Ventura wrote:

Try to format the HDD, it shouldn't have any sense, but in this way you could start to discard options.

Won't get that far, it crashes in the BIOS just trying to check the CPU temperature is okay and it's not just overheating (gets to 45 degrees).

Reply 3 of 29, by Señor Ventura

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
moawkwrd wrote:
Señor Ventura wrote:

Try to format the HDD, it shouldn't have any sense, but in this way you could start to discard options.

Won't get that far, it crashes in the BIOS trying to check the CPU temperature (39 degrees).

Do it only crashes when you check the temperature?, What more options in the bios causes crashes?.

Reply 4 of 29, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Señor Ventura wrote:
moawkwrd wrote:
Señor Ventura wrote:

Won't get that far, it crashes in the BIOS trying to check the CPU temperature (39 degrees).

Do it only crashes when you check the temperature?, What more options in the bios causes crashes?.

No, it crashes if I leave it to try and load Windows. Sometimes crashes before finishing the memory check. Definitely seems temperature related.

I could try reapplying TIM but I've no idea how to take it apart:

dJDs916.jpg

Looks like it has plenty on already:

4eATCwd.jpg

Reply 6 of 29, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Make sure that the voltage is set correctly, also check the FSB. If you can rule that out, the CPU is faulty (L2 cache most likely).

All the same as the 350MHz apart from the jumper change for ratio.

I'll just request a return and wait till another cheap one appears.

Reply 7 of 29, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does your case have enough airflow to properly cool the passive heatsink? Have you tried putting a fan pointing right on the heat sink to see if anything changes

Reply 10 of 29, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote:

Does your case have enough airflow to properly cool the passive heatsink? Have you tried putting a fan pointing right on the heat sink to see if anything changes

It's got a 120mm fan above it pulling air out. My 350MHz has a fan on top of the heatsink but it's not very big/strong. Can't imagine it makes that much difference.

Reply 11 of 29, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

this,

also try to run memtest 86 to see if you get any problem.

I'm happy that the memory is fine as as soon as I put my 350MHz back in, it's happy as larry and everything's fine. I did reseat the memory just to be sure.

Last edited by moawkwrd on 2019-07-20, 15:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 29, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
moawkwrd wrote:

It's got a 120mm fan above it pulling air out. My 350MHz has a fan on top of the heatsink but it's not very big/strong. Can't imagine it makes that much difference.

Install the fan to push air. And that small fan on the PII 350 does make * a lot* of difference, trust me. Play some game with the fan on, then try to play the same game without the fan, check the temperature and you'll see.

Reply 14 of 29, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RaverX wrote:
moawkwrd wrote:

Install the fan to push air. And that small fan on the PII 350 does make * a lot* of difference, trust me. Play some game with the fan on, then try to play the same game without the fan, check the temperature and you'll see.

I don't have a fan to install though. You can see in the pics above that the heatsink isn't designed for a fan to be attached and there seem to be an awful lot of slot 1 Pentium 2s and 3s with those style heatsinks without fans, I can't imagine they all need fans somehow attaching to work. A quick search on here suggests plenty of people use them without fans. It just seems faulty, temperature related or not.

Reply 15 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I mentionned memtest because I thin that if the cache is bad it would show up in the test.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 16 of 29, by moawkwrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I mentionned memtest because I thin that if the cache is bad it would show up in the test.

Ah, does it? That might be worth a go, though I'm not sure it'll last long enough before crashing. I'll try it thanks.

Reply 17 of 29, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

You havent by mistake got one of the first P3 450MHz chips? if so they are a bit different and the bios may be upset. I had this issue when going from a P2 400 to P3 550. Board had issues like this until i found a BIOS update. (HP oem version of an ASUS board). After the BIOS it took an 800MHz on a slotkit.

Reply 18 of 29, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
moawkwrd wrote:

I don't have a fan to install though. You can see in the pics above that the heatsink isn't designed for a fan to be attached and there seem to be an awful lot of slot 1 Pentium 2s and 3s with those style heatsinks without fans, I can't imagine they all need fans somehow attaching to work. A quick search on here suggests plenty of people use them without fans. It just seems faulty, temperature related or not.

Some OEM systems have the CPUs inside a fan duct that pulls air across the heatsink and out the back of the case. Corporate/server machines often did this. A lot of the fanless CPUs you see on eBay were intended for these systems, and will run too hot if put in a regular case without additional cooling.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 19 of 29, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try and disable l2 in bios. It will be much slower but if it is stable like that it's probably the l2 cache that's bad.

That cpu needs a bit of cooling though...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1