VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found old MS instructions on how to remove SP2 but it just ended up being a 'restore system to point' before you installed it. What if it came as part of your retail version?

Reply 3 of 7, by ZipoBibrok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
infiniteclouds wrote:

Isn't SP2 just a security patch, mostly? I know at least one game that breaks with SP2 and the machine is going to be offline anyway.

Isn't there a patch for the game instead?

Reply 4 of 7, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No. SP2 is a variety of patches for a variety of things including support for updated APIs, software toolkits necessary for some programs, and even a bug fix or two (Microsoft obviously hates patching bugs but if their business customers are affected they do it). But yeah, on the other hand the majority of it is "patching up" workarounds for security vulnerabilities.

I'm not aware of any software actually broken by it, but hey if you say it's so, so it is. It might be profitable for you to know what exactly is breaking the program since SP2 is primarily a list of patches. You could have the pre SP2 version adding features you want while avoiding whatever breaks the game.

Reply 6 of 7, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZipoBibrok wrote:
infiniteclouds wrote:

Isn't SP2 just a security patch, mostly? I know at least one game that breaks with SP2 and the machine is going to be offline anyway.

Isn't there a patch for the game instead?

Sort of. Starship Titanic works fine on Windows XP until you install SP2. SP2 upgrades the Cinepak Codec to a version that breaks the game. There used to be a link somewhere for an older Cinepak codec to download but I think it's long since gone/broken.

Reply 7 of 7, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Solution: http://www.starshiptitanic.com/game/faq.html

1.7.1. Does it work on XP? […]
Show full quote

1.7.1. Does it work on XP?

Yes! Or rather, yes, it works until you install Service Pack 2, which upgrades the Cinepak® Codec to a special non-working version.
The solution is to download Cinepak version 1.10.0.11 from the wonderful folks at Providenza & Boekelheide, who wrote the codec in the first place.

Copy the DLL from the zip file into the Starship Titanic program file folder, and you're done!

Downloadlink: http://www.probo.com/pub/cinepak/cvid32.zip

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾