VOGONS

First post, by klappa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do you get your account deleted here?

Reply 1 of 10, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On phpBB boards, you have to ask a moderator/admin to do it. No real point in doing it if you don't have a lot of posts, though. I just abandon boards when I get sick of the new userbase, and only come back when I get alerts.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 2 of 10, by klappa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mister Xiado wrote:

On phpBB boards, you have to ask a moderator/admin to do it. No real point in doing it if you don't have a lot of posts, though. I just abandon boards when I get sick of the new userbase, and only come back when I get alerts.

No point? If the forum get hacked and your e-mail is leaked to spammers? That doesn't bother you?

I can't contact any moderators privately since i haven't been a member or active long enough. What should i do?

Reply 3 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that bothers you, why did you register after all? Most people caring about such things don't use their daily email address.

http://retro-net.de/blog.html

Reply 4 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can change your email address in the account settings. if you've registered with your daily email, then you can change it to a nonexisting one or mailinator address.

I do not have the required permissions to delete your account, but I've made a copy of the thread in the mod section so it has been highlighted.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 10, by klappa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote:

You can change your email address in the account settings. if you've registered with your daily email, then you can change it to a nonexisting one or mailinator address.

I do not have the required permissions to delete your account, but I've made a copy of the thread in the mod section so it has been highlighted.

Thx a lot! At least a responding moderator. Trying to contact the administrators haven't been successful in years.

Reply 6 of 10, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
klappa wrote:
Mister Xiado wrote:

No point? If the forum get hacked and your e-mail is leaked to spammers? That doesn't bother you?

I can't contact any moderators privately since i haven't been a member or active long enough. What should i do?

Why do you use you main e-mail address on the internet forums instead of some burner account instead?

For sale (2019.12.01 - new items!!!): 8088, 286 stuff | 386, 486 stuff | Socket 5-8 stuff | Old HDDs and 5.25" FDDs

Reply 7 of 10, by Anders-

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote:
klappa wrote:
Mister Xiado wrote:

Why do you use you main e-mail address on the internet forums instead of some burner account instead?

You are completely missing the point there.

Reply 8 of 10, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
klappa wrote:

Trying to contact the administrators haven't been successful in years.

This, from someone registered for barely 12 months... hmmm.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 10, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Surely we would all feel a loss if a user's (informative or entertaining) posts are purged from the forums.

If vogons.org falls within the EU, then users have the "Right to be Forgotten". Here's just a snip from Wikipedia:

The right to be forgotten "reflects the claim of an individual to have certain data deleted so that third persons can no longer trace them."[11]:121 It has been defined as "the right to silence on past events in life that are no longer occurring."[12] The right to be forgotten leads to allowing individuals to have information, videos, or photographs about themselves deleted from certain internet records so that they cannot be found by search engines.

I'm also not sure that we, as members, have signed-over our posts and content to become the property of vogons.org in perpetuity.
(although I would say that if you post something online, you better be prepared for someone to archive and copy it forever more.. regardless of laws)

So back to this user who is asking for their account to be removed.. I'm not sure why it hasn't happened yet, unless there is concern as to the authenticity of the user (such as not being able to answer from their sign-up email address).