VOGONS

Lowest CPU to play MP3s?

Topic actions

First post, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Re: Lowest CPU to play MP3s

I'm trying to play WAV on my AMD 5x86 (Win98 SE) but it doesn't play well, strange 😵

Reply 5 of 49, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

This thread is not only dead since 8 years

Not any more - split the new posts and locked the old one, while inserting a link to the old thread in the first post in this one.

Eight years is a hell of a bump - don't do that, RiP.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 49, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even a 286 or 386 should have no issue playing 44kHz WAVs if it can read them from disk & DMA them to the sound card fast enough. Playing a WAV file is not CPU intensive if you have DMA.

It's when you get into mixing or resampling that it starts bogging down the CPU, and if you're using something like Media Player in Windows 9x, it's doing that. Try from the DOS command line - it should be no sweat.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 49, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Even a 286 or 386 should have no issue playing 44kHz WAVs if it can read them from disk & DMA them to the sound card fast enough. Playing a WAV file is not CPU intensive if you have DMA.

Actually, even an 8088@4.77 MHz should be good enough for that.
I think I saw somebody up to playing CD-quality sound on such a CPU, probably by writing some special software, but I don't know if he actually accomplished that feat, can't find that thread now...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 9 of 49, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had hard time playing WAVs on a PC104 module based on AMD Elan520 (133MHz 5x86), and simply because it only had PIO HDD access. Playing over built in PCI 100Mbit network was fine though. MP3s weren't a problem on that board though sometimes there was stutter here or there when doing other things.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 10 of 49, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyway, the lowest CPU capable of playing MP3 files is 386+FPU, only plays low bitrates, of course...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jj97NXgHw4

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 11 of 49, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rodoko wrote:

The lowest processor you can go to play some really good quality MP3's in mono and downsampled is a 486/66 in my case

I used winamp2x for that, but there is perhaps a dos-mp3 player that's better for that.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 12 of 49, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Even a 286 or 386 should have no issue playing 44kHz WAVs if it can read them from disk & DMA them to the sound card fast enough.
Playing a WAV file is not CPU intensive if you have DMA.

I can confirm that. I played songs in WAVE format (Stereo ~22KHz) off CD-ROMs back in the days. On a 286-12 based PC running Windows 3.10 in Standard Mode with a PAS16 sound card.
Without SmartDrive, btw. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 49, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once played an MP3 (I forget the bitrate) on a Macintosh Performa 5200CD with a PowerPC 603 CPU @ 75MHz.

I don't recall what software I used, but it would play ok albeit you literally couldn't do anything else until it stopped playing, the whole system was frozen including the mouse.

Fun, but not very practical. 🤣

Reply 14 of 49, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something like P120, P133, K5 PR133 will play mp3s without hassle. I'm pretty sure back in the 90s when mp3 craze begun my friend was playing them on his Am486DX4 100Mhz although I think he recompressed some of the higher fidelity ones to basic 128kbps joint-stereo, but I think it was mostly due to storage space concerns.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 15 of 49, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played MP3s on a Toshiba T2450CT - 486DX4-75, 16MB RAM with Winamp 2.xx on a 98lited Win98 install. 128kbps was the maximum and even then I think I had to use a downsampling option that was available in the settings menu. I also used Cubic Player for DOS, but I can't remember if that could play without downsampling - I mainly used it for MOD files.

Reply 16 of 49, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dosamp on my 486 back in the day. worked fine. l3enc, l3dec and dosamp...

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 17 of 49, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can also hookup a mp3 decoding module on the lpt port, so you can play with any cpu that can stream the data to lpt.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 19 of 49, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

you can also hookup a mp3 decoding module on the lpt port, so you can play with any cpu that can stream the data to lpt.

There were also some internal sound cards with hardware MP3 decoding, but they never got popular, at least not in the PC, though I reckon they were somewhat more successful in the Amiga world.