VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have any experience with an Acer V20 486 motherboard? It came in a case I bought, which I plan to use for a socket 4 system (either an Acer V12 or Intel Batman's Revenge board).

The V20 came cacheless. It appears to support both VLB and PCI and is based on a chipset I haven't see before, the ALi M1429G / M1435. It will be interesting to see if this board suffers from VLB bridging slowdowns. I haven't seen any builds based on this board so I'm wondering if it wasn't popular due to performance or stability issues.

Acer_V20_MB.jpg
Filename
Acer_V20_MB.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Acer_V20_Case.jpg
Filename
Acer_V20_Case.jpg
File size
189.5 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 2, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one looks very nice.

If this is an OEM board then the BIOS might be an obstacle to have it running as well as it can. I have no idea if the Ali chipset can go toe to toe with the UMC and SiS heavyweights... have you run any tests?

Regarding OEM bios - the Compaq board I'm currently using has such horrid timings that equipping it with cache makes it slower. If you start it with a fsb of 40 it uses even more timid timings - one can only change the board's fsb on the fly to have good timings... even though it's an UMC888x based one.

Reply 2 of 2, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Brief update to this thread, and for anyone who considers buying one of these Acer V20 motherboards, the memory timings are slow, to say the least. A quick cachechk comparison with an Am486DX4-100 and another VIP board, the M919, reveals,

Acer V20
L1 = 100 MB/s
L2 = 39.8 MB/s
RAM = 22.8 MB/s

M919
L1 = 104 MB/s
L2 = 56 MB/s
RAM = 37 MB/s

And there was a similar return with Speedsys,

Acer V20
L1 = 61.1 MB/s
L2 = 32.5 MB/s
RAM = 20.9 MB/s

M919
L1 = 94 MB/s
L2 = 47 MB/s
RAM = 37 MB/s

Unfortunately, there aren't any BIOS options to adjust the cache/RAM timings. And it uses some custom Acer BIOS, so AMISetup won't run. CTCHIP34 doesn't have support for this chipset. So unless you have a thing for Acer motherboards, there is nothing remarkable about this motherboard.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.