VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just acquired this motherboard.
I can't find the speaker header, so I can't tell if it beeps, but with no memory, 128mb, or 256mb of memory I've tested it with, and with a K6-300 and a Pentium 233MMX (and yes, I set the core i/o and multiplier jumpers correctly, triple checked; and yes the CPUs have both worked in other systems), nothing happens.

Could anyone point me at any information for this motherboard, and/or suggest what I can try to find out why it's not functioning?
(I need to check to confirm this, but it occurred to me that neither CPU got hot; but I only ran it for maybe a minute at a time, and do have a cpu fan on it).

566a-at_motherboard.jpg
Filename
566a-at_motherboard.jpg
File size
529.65 KiB
Views
File comment
pic from original ad with WinChip 225mhz CPU + heatsink. No, I didn't think to try it with the original cpu, since I didn't want to use the original cpu.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It still has the battery on, so I thought it may be worth asking: Did you clear the CMOS after the processor switch?

Also 128MB sticks may be too high density for this board, try with 64MB or less and see if that helps.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 17, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can try an AT power supply or an AT-ATX adapter with a switch. You can also do some sanity checks with a multi meter. Make sure all of the capacitors are oriented correctly (was it seller refurbished?) . If the fans don't spin, it is something to do with the power delivery, so I would start there.

If you hook up a PC speaker you might get some beep codes. You can also try a PCI graphics card if you have one, different memory, ect. The PC parts merry-go-round.

Not particularly helpful I know, but I have seen a lot of dead ss7 boards popping up. I have had two myself. One died shortly after I started using it, and another arrived DOA from ebay. I don't buy them anymore... I think intel TX and HX chipsets are more reliable. I also see a lot of SiS 530s on ebay too.

Reply 4 of 17, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

It still has the battery on, so I thought it may be worth asking: Did you clear the CMOS after the processor switch?

Also 128MB sticks may be too high density for this board, try with 64MB or less and see if that helps.

yes, I did.

And I don't have any other sticks that fit it 🙁

Reply 6 of 17, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

You can try an AT power supply or an AT-ATX adapter with a switch. You can also do some sanity checks with a multi meter. Make sure all of the capacitors are oriented correctly (was it seller refurbished?) . If the fans don't spin, it is something to do with the power delivery, so I would start there.

If you hook up a PC speaker you might get some beep codes. You can also try a PCI graphics card if you have one, different memory, ect. The PC parts merry-go-round.

Not particularly helpful I know, but I have seen a lot of dead ss7 boards popping up. I have had two myself. One died shortly after I started using it, and another arrived DOA from ebay. I don't buy them anymore... I think intel TX and HX chipsets are more reliable. I also see a lot of SiS 530s on ebay too.

The fans spin, and the CD-ROM light flashes on boot, too.

I've tried an AGP video card and an ISA video card. Haven't tried PCI yet...
Problem with hooking up the speaker is that I cannot find the speaker header on the motherboard.

Reply 7 of 17, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:
The fans spin, and the CD-ROM light flashes on boot, too. […]
Show full quote
mothergoose729 wrote:

The fans spin, and the CD-ROM light flashes on boot, too.

I've tried an AGP video card and an ISA video card. Haven't tried PCI yet...
Problem with hooking up the speaker is that I cannot find the speaker header on the motherboard.

Hard to read from the picture, but looks like the 7th pin row might say SPKR. It could be a two pin configuration oriented vertically? Do you have a model number or a manual for the board?

Did you use an AT switch or an ATX for the power? Is the fan plugged into the header or molex? An AT switch will spin up the power supply without needing to get any sign of life from the board.

EDIT: I think you have a Jamicon KM566A. I can't find a manual online though.

Reply 8 of 17, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a couple message boards with people asking for the manual but nobody has it.

http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Kaimei% … 566a/index.html

http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?conten … mb_jamicon.html

Here are some manuals for other motherboards made by jamicon. None of them have the same headers as your board, but some parts of board might be the same.

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/kaimei/Index.html

Once you find the speaker, your beep codes might be the same as any other board that shares the same bios, which is much easier to find.

Reply 9 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need the same board, all you need is codes for Award BIOS.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seen a few posts that says this is the same OEM board (JD Research / SuperPower A586B)

https://web.archive.org/web/20070311035352/ht … a.com/a586b.htm

Filename
a586b.pdf
File size
2.38 MiB
Downloads
97 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the CPU temps directly without a cooler. If temperature won't start to ramp up within a minute or so, you probably have a dead VRM component.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 13 of 17, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Check the CPU temps directly without a cooler. If temperature won't start to ramp up within a minute or so, you probably have a dead VRM component.

apologies but... what's a VRM component?

Reply 17 of 17, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

This chip looks like it's blown up.

IC.JPG

Went and looked on the board... yeah, it's blown.
I'm not competent or equipped to replace that kind of chip, so I guess the motherboard is toast 🙁

Thanks for spotting that for me, though!