VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
Where to buy new compatible high quality CD-Rs like Japan made or similar for old CD-drives (<2000) which do not accept CD-RWs ?
- What are these "Audio CD-Rs" can I use them in old CD-drives which have problems with CD-RWs ? ( Now all CD-RW read\transferred data gets corrupted.) Ebay seems full of Audio CD-Rs from Japan.
- Ebay seller: disc-supply(uk) has a lot of JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs but shipping is kind of high 20euros. So you got to order high volume like 100pcs or such to get the best deal.

Drives tested:
Samsung SC-140 (mfg.1999) problems with CD-RW. Manual says not compatible only CD-R.
Matsushita CR-581-M (mfg.1995) very old don't know if this accepts CD-R or CD-RW ?

Reply 1 of 3, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CD-R audio discs have a preformatted TOC for use in consumer standalone audio CD recorders. The actual CD-R media used may not be any better quality, but as they were intended to be recorded in real time (1x) they may actually be better suited to older drives - if you can stomach the higher price.

Reply 2 of 3, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I understand, the audio CD-Rs were more expensive due to licenses paid to the recording industry for the assumed profit lost by copying pressed music CDs. They work fine as data discs, they were just unnecessarily expensive for computer use when new, since the computer drives did not care. Audio CD recorders would only use audio CD-Rs, forcing you to pay the premium for the "licensed" blank discs.

Reply 3 of 3, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've bought all my Taiyo Yurden CD-R media from here for the last two decades.
https://www.svp.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q … o+yuden&cat=147

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.