VOGONS

First post, by AfterBurnerTeirusu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya guys (first post here 😁)
I got a really nice packard bell 486 machine from some old lady yesterday.
http://pbclub.pwcsite.com/wiki/index.php/Spectria_9012
the HDD seems to be empty (but it shows up in the bios so it could possibly work?) so I tried to install win95 on it for dos games.
Welp the problem is that it doesn't want to install any drivers for the IDE panasonic cd rom drive. I've tried multiple windows 95 and 98 boot floppies, both original and third party and they all fail to find the cd drive. (check attached file)
The HDD is set as master and cd as slave. the jumpers are installed correctly.
I get a pci read configuration failure if I plug an analog cable between the cd drive and soundcard (which is some soundblaster 16 clone) when using the official windows 98 boot disk.

I've tried some backard bell boot disk images but the ones I've tried seem to print a single arrow character after the *starting windows 95* prompt is done and get stuck there, would be nice if someone had the proper images for the cd and floppy for this model?

EDIT: BTW the sound card has a "panasonic cd" connector. I don't sadly own a cable for it but could that help me in any way?

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    Filename
    image0.jpg
    File size
    46.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    win98 floppy failing to find the cd drive
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 25, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it really is a 2x Panasonic drive, then the driver on those boot disks can't work, because they are for IDE cd-roms, which the Panasonic isn't.

Can you please post a picture of the cd-rom drive?

Reply 2 of 25, by AfterBurnerTeirusu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm pretty sure it's one of those. So I should be able to use it normally if I swapped it to a normal ide cd drive?
(I can open it up and take a photo of the stickers if you really want that)

Attachments

Reply 3 of 25, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The front of the drive isn't that interesting. 😉 Looks like a Matsushita CR-563, but can't really tell without seeing the label.

If you have an IDE cd-rom drive lying around, you could just replace it. Just make sure you connect it to IDE then.

Reply 4 of 25, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's possible that the system just doesn't like CD drives. I suspect that I would have to use a drive controller card to use a CDROM drive in my HP Vectra 486, as connecting it to the PATA connector on the system's riser card gets no response. The HP Bios has nothing for the detection of anything but a single hard disk drive. Even ignoring all of that and setting up CDROM drivers in DOS does nothing, as nothing find the drives.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 5 of 25, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mister Xiado wrote:

It's possible that the system just doesn't like CD drives.

That system came with a cd drive! It's even the original one... He just can't use an ATAPI driver for it, since it's not connected to IDE.

Besides, it's completely moot if a cd drive is detected by the BIOS. This became standard when the feature to boot from cd was introduced. Up to that time, a cd drive was never detected by the BIOS. It doesn't have to, as it's not accessed through 80h anyway.

Reply 7 of 25, by AfterBurnerTeirusu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a bunch of photos of the thing and it's drives. and yeah it seems to be a matsu. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Pr_ij … LbT?usp=sharing
I tried installing a normal ide drive to it but that just made it lose connection to the hdd and I can't get it to show up anymore. even with the original cd drive 😜

Reply 8 of 25, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See the "CR-5xx" header on the sound card? That's where the CD drive should be connected, it's not IDE but rather a proprietary interface, first CD drives didn't have a standardized interface (to each manufacturer their own) except some which used ATA or SCSI.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 9 of 25, by AfterBurnerTeirusu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alrighty I connected the cdrom to the CR-5xx and the cd drive isn't responding in any way. The HDD doesn't want to show up anymore. (pc freezes if I autocheck it in the bios) and it doesn't want to boot from a floppy anymore (just shows "operating system not found" on bootup 😀

Edit: should I keep the cdrom jumper at slave or put it on something else?.
I can always order a "new" hdd if it happened to die.

Reply 10 of 25, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is strange indeed... Try setting the CD drive to Master (or "Single Drive" if it has such an option) when it's connected to the sound card, the hard drive not being suddenly recognized might be that it died (unless if you have an other machine to test it).

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 11 of 25, by AfterBurnerTeirusu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The drive has Cable select/Slave/Master. Master didn't change anything.
The floppy LED is lit but it doesn't want to read it. (does it not read it if the hdd is dead?)
and yeah hdd probably died.

I do own other IDE HDDs but isn't there a tight size limit on 486 machines? They are 80-200 gigs lmao.

Reply 12 of 25, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I meant testing the PB's hard drive on another machine to see if it works.

Anyways, the floppy being lit all the time could be either that you plugged the cable backwards (early 34-pin floppy drive cables weren't keyed, I learned it the hard way...), but if it's just lit when you try reading a disk, it could be that the heads are dirty. If that still don't work, either the drive died or the motherboard's on-board floppy controller died (worst case scnario: the motherboard is faulty).

As for the BIOS limitation, well yes, you'll hit several, I don't recall them on top of my head but on 486 machines, anything above 1GB might cause issues (IIRC).

Probably unrelated but I recall that some Packard Bell machines had a "Dallas" chip on them, that chip held the BIOS settings and had a battery in it, once the battery died, the BIOS would always roll back to default parameters. I remember that it could cause many issues (e.g. Missing hard drive parameters, wrong default floppy type...)

Reply 13 of 25, by AfterBurnerTeirusu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a usb hard drive reader somewhere, I'll try to find it tomorrow.
and this pc has a button cell battery on the mobo, no clock chip. (but it totally is dead. it did allow me to change the values from the bios though but it just cannot find the hdd anymore)

The floppy cable is in the right way. It's in the same way it was when it worked.

Reply 15 of 25, by AfterBurnerTeirusu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pbuser wrote:

Thanks for the pics. Just out of curiosity : do you have the first 2 digits of the S/N (not the P/N which begins by 21) ?

Reply 16 of 25, by pbuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A little bit early. FYI : a recovery CD was supplied with Packard Bells having their S/N starting by 23.
The best way to know : do you have an FN code near the S/N (5 alpha characters ending in the letter "S") ?

Last edited by pbuser on 2019-07-28, 18:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 25, by AfterBurnerTeirusu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pbuser wrote:

A little bit early. FYI : a recovery CD was supplied with Packard Bells having their S/N starting by 23.
The best way to know : do you have an FN code near the S/N (5 alpha-numeric characters ending in the letter "S") ?

nope 😜

Reply 19 of 25, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm try changing the battery first, after that change the floppy drive settings to the correct one (in your case I assume it would be "1.44M 3½-inch"), if after that the FDD starts again reading, then we can move onto the hard drive.