VOGONS

First post, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For equivalent bus speeds and cpu clocks, which P3 package generates less heat: SECC2 or FC-PGA ?

I'm putting together a 133MHz-bus 1GHz P3 system and could go either way.

Reply 1 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are identical - crystal is open. But FC-PGA allows to install some ludicrous copper coolers.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 14, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
precaud wrote:

Interesting. I was thinking perhaps the FCPGA would be mnore efficient, maybe not the cpu, but the cache.

1 GHz would be a Coppermine, thus with on-die cache, no matter slot or socket. It is basically the same chip, unless you are comparing a Coppermine with a Tualatin (which I'm not sure exists in 1G)

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 5 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thus with on-die cache

It does not matter. Katmai has open crystal as well.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 14, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have one or the other to choose from... die exposed or one with IHS(integrated Heat Spreader).

Attachments

• p3 exposed.jpg
    Filename
    p3 exposed.jpg
    File size
    270.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • p3 covered.jpg
    Filename
    p3 covered.jpg
    File size
    152.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 7 of 14, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bige4u wrote:

You have one or the other to choose from... die exposed or one with IHS(integrated Heat Spreader).

Thank you for the generous gift! Since i already have one with exposed die, I'll take the IHS ! 😀

Reply 8 of 14, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
precaud wrote:
Bige4u wrote:

Thank you for the generous gift! Since i already have one with exposed die, I'll take the IHS ! 😀

I think you misunderstood... i was just showing examples of the Pentium3 1ghz/133 cpus that were made that you could choose from, one with die exposed, the other with the IHS, i wasnt offering to send you one. Sorry

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 10 of 14, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

thus with on-die cache

It does not matter. Katmai has open crystal as well.

Yeah, but cache setup is way different, with external chips running at half core speed ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 12 of 14, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
precaud wrote:

Coppermine P3 is full-speed cache, no?

Yes, integrated in the cpu die .. Katmai is external, running at half speed ..

Reply 13 of 14, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slot1 1GHZ(133) in my experience run cooler than equivalent socket370 chips and also under-volt much better. I found this true even comparing with s370 cD0 steppings. (the latest slot1 1ghz , SL4BS, is cc0 stepping).
Look on ebay for the SL4BS - and get a compaq/hp server version if you can. They come with a silver heatsink and no fan. Can be undervolted to 1.3v just by covering one pin (vid3 pin B119) and will then only use around 11 watts.
Does not even get warm to the touch after running prime95 in XP for 24 hours.

Last edited by AvalonH on 2019-07-30, 14:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 14, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AvalonH wrote:

Slot1 1GHZ(133) in my experience run cooler than equivalent socket370 chips and also under-volt much better. I found this true even comparing with s370 cD0 steppings. (the latest slot1 1ghz , SL4BS, is cc0 stepping).
Look on ebay for the SL4BS - and get a compaq/hp server version if you can. They come with a silver heatsink and no fan.

Thanks, that's the one I have (two, actually). One has the large fanless heatsink you describe, which depended on being installed right in front of a case fan. The other has a "normal" size heatsink with two small fans on it. They were running way too fast, vibrating and noisy. So I lubed them with synthetic oil and added a 39 Ohm resistor in series with the 12V feed (for 7.5V) to slow them down. Now they're barely audible and still move plenty of air.