VOGONS

First post, by hydroksyde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I recently picked up a Pentium Pro system, an HP Netserver E40, and installed Windows 98SE on a CF card.

The weirdest thing is happening with the IDE interface, but I've got it to a point where it does what I need it to do, so just making this post in case anybody else is having the issue, or somebody knows how I might clean up the remaining yellow triangle'd entry from my device manager.

So, with a fresh 98SE install, the IDE controller gets detected twice, both with the Intel bus master driver and the generic driver. The two entries have similar but not identical resources. The intel driver stays in the conflicted state, and the CD-ROM drive wont work

devmgr1.png
Filename
devmgr1.png
File size
8.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
devmgr2.png
Filename
devmgr2.png
File size
8.15 KiB
Views
File license
devmgr3.png
Filename
devmgr3.png
File size
6.69 KiB
Views
File license

I tried deleting the entry for the generic driver, but it just gets detected again at the next startup. So I tried changing the driver for the generic to the intel bus master driver and ignoring the warnings about the incorrect driver, and now the CD-ROM drive works again.

I now have two entries, one in conflict state. If I delete it a generic gets detected at next startup and the intel driver goes into conflict state, and I have to change the generic's driver again to get my CD-ROM back.

devmgr4.png
Filename
devmgr4.png
File size
8.91 KiB
Views
File license
devmgr5.png
Filename
devmgr5.png
File size
8.11 KiB
Views
File license

Anybody experienced this issue before?

Reply 1 of 2, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you mean 440FX, the 430FX is a Socket 5 or Socket 7 chipset.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS