VOGONS

First post, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm looking for a motherboard with at least three expansion slots, but one that has the AGP slot on the outside edge of the board (doesn't matter if 3.3V or 1.5V). Has to be Win98 compatible. Does such a board exist?

I've quickly found quite a few with the AGP slot on the outside edge, caveat being that all of these only offer two expansion slots in total:

Shuttle FN45 (Socket A, nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset) (as part of Shuttle XPC SN45G & SN45GV2)
Shuttle SB61G2 (Socket 478, Intel 865G / ICH5 chipset) (as part of Shuttle XPC SB61G2 & SB61G2V3)
Shuttle FX83 (Socket 754, VIA K8M800 chipset) (as part of Shuttle XPC SK83G)
EPOX EP-4PGF (Socket 478, Intel 865G / ICH5 chipset) (as part of Epox eX5-320S)
Qbic SL-B9D-FGR (Socket 939, VIA K8T800 Pro chipset) (as part of Soltek EQ3901MAY-300P)

All the one's I've listed were part of 2000s small form factor PCs, and there are probably many more boards like that out there. However, I haven't been able to turn up anything with more than two expansion slots...

Help 🤣

Reply 3 of 9, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote:

why does the agp have to be on the outside edge?

I'd like to do a SFF build with a passively cooled Voodoo 5 in a HDPlex H5 case.
Having the slot on the outside edge would make my life a bit easier, otherwise I would have to wildly decorate the inside with riser cable.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

Not possible.

Doesn't exist?

Reply 4 of 9, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shuttle FS51. Probably your only option, the other boards you suggested doesn't run with the Voodoo 5 5500, it won't fit the AGP slot.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 9, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

sounds like a pain to me. riser cable maybe your only option and thats the problem with small form factors. The other thing is you picked a case that you need to do a reverse riser instead of a case that used a normal riser you wouldn't need paddle boards and riser cables. well you still may of needed a paddle board for atleast 1 slot but you wouldned of needed a paddle board for the AGP to go into a reverse riser on slot 1.

To me you are going about this entire thing wrong just for the sake of not needing riser cables. You are gimping your motherboard just because you don't want to run riser cables. 😐 even if you found the only motherboard that had the slot configuration you want it could be a pretty bad motherboard just for the sake of cable management.

Reply 6 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't exist?

There's literally no room for a third slot.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 9, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could consider the NLX form factor motherboards. Those have the AGP slot on the board's edge and implement additional slots with a riser card on the side of the board. Not quite the right time period for a Voodoo 5 5500, but probably the only type of motherboard to have both features. I'm also not sure it can physically fit such a card without significant modification, because there are ports where the edge of a regular AGP card would fit. The NLX standard died out quickly for a reason 😁

NLX.jpg
Filename
NLX.jpg
File size
458.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 9, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

Shuttle FS51. Probably your only option, the other boards you suggested doesn't run with the Voodoo 5 5500, it won't fit the AGP slot.

I was considering either a card mod or special riser cable for AGP4x compatibility, so I would have more options when it comes to motherboard choice.

Voodoo5-AGP4x.jpg

Thermalwrong wrote:

You could consider the NLX form factor motherboards. Those have the AGP slot on the board's edge and implement additional slots with a riser card on the side of the board. Not quite the right time period for a Voodoo 5 5500, but probably the only type of motherboard to have both features. I'm also not sure it can physically fit such a card without significant modification, because there are ports where the edge of a regular AGP card would fit. The NLX standard died out quickly for a reason 😁

NLX.jpg

Now that's a bit too exotic even for me 🤣

I think I'll just stick with two expansion slots or standard mobo with riser decoration, if there are no other options - or maybe I'll just abandon the idea altogether...