VOGONS

Pentium 233 MMX vs 200 MMX

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

Is there another program that slows down the CPUs? Specifically, for my other system's PIII-800 processor. I have decided to use that PIII system over the Pentium MMX one.

SetMul does not seem to slow my PIII-800 down at all. Is there another program out there?

Thanks!

There is also the FDAPM, but they both do the same thing of invoking the ACPI doze mode slowdown feature outside of doze mode.

Is your ACPI controller enabled in the BIOS setup (although that's just a random guess: none of my PIII boards do that in either state of ACPI function)? If it is, but these utils still don't work - I bet there's a single setting somewhere that's causing the freeze. Too bad I don't have this mobo to troubleshoot it. I'd recommend resetting the BIOS settings to default and running the util with bare minimum of PCI components in case some of them are conflicting with thermal throttling. Does it work for you in Windows, btw?

There is also this thread, but most of the list is comprised of software-slowdown utilities, which can induce random stutter, input lag and other nasty things (if they would work properly, there would be no need for specific "time machine" platforms).

Regarding SetMul: it can only change the multiplier on multiplier-unlocked processors such as certain PII's (manufactured before August of 1998, top of the line being the 400Mhz Deschutes), all K6-2+/III/3+ and C3's. All commercialy available Pentium III's have a locked multiplier -- so it is either chipset throttling, or back to the multiplier-unlocked CPU's (which are, sadly, all slower than a middle-ground PIII).

UPD. Whoops. Sorry for misinformation: SetMul doesn't actually change multipliers on Pentium II's - only reads and displays them.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22