VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I haven't soldered in over 20 years.
I need to solder new memory sockets onto my Awe32 sound board.
I also need to cut and rewire / solder a serial port cable to be compatible with my current motherboard.
I also also needed to solder a USB socket to an Adafruit power supply for use with a Raspberry Pi project.

But I haven't soldered in over 20 years... (yes, I said it twice because it's important).
The first project would be the one where I (re) learned to solder.
So what did I do?

Soldered the brand-new USB socket to the power supply, of course.
Gotta have priorities; I mighta damaged the Awe32 or the serial cable. 🤣

I, of course, soldered a bridge between two of the pins on the USB socket and had to fix that. But it works.
Still gotta get some thicker solder and bigger solder wick before I tackle the important projects (can't figure out how to make that stuff work...)

Reply 1 of 3, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, great choice. But here's a much better one: find some junk, a bad motherboard or videocard, you should be able to find those things very cheap or even free. Learn to properly solder on that junk, then do it on stuff that you use/care.

Reply 2 of 3, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I have such things, but again, I don't want to practice on them in case I develop the skill to fix them someday.

Nevermind, just trying for a little light, ironic humor. Should have known better.

Reply 3 of 3, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Solder wick works a bit better when it's got some flux (paste or liquid) to work with, but sometimes the solder mix you're trying to remove will be garbage, and you may need to add more new solder to it in order to wick it up. There are plenty of good guides on Youtube, but in my opinion, Voultar is the Saint of Soldering.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiUAFHtzv_2xJHEjWIk1fOw

Meanwhile I paid thousands of dollars for an electronic engineering degree that has earned me $0.00 in the past twelve years. But hey, I can fix cracked PCBs, provided they're single layer, or front/back boards.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.