VOGONS

First post, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have noticed that some DRAM chips have lower capacity than what they should have.
For example, this 72-pin SIMM has eight NEC 4217400-60 chips that should be 16MB but detects as 4MB only.
And the eight 4P4256DJ-M8 chips on the Trident TVGA8900C should be 1MB but detect as 256KB 😵

Any idea? 😕

Attachments

• 8900c.jpg
    Filename
    8900c.jpg
    File size
    884.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 72pin.jpg
    Filename
    72pin.jpg
    File size
    658.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 9, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fact that both the GPU as well as the RAM stick get detected with a quarter of the total memory size makes me believe the system itself might be the culprit. You have tested these in multiple systems?

Some systems also only support DRAM to come in pairs or at at certain densities and are not able to allocate the full stick. This doesn't explain the GPU problem, though. But the card might be faulty.

Last edited by jaZz_KCS on 2019-08-10, 10:46. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RiP wrote:

For example, this 72-pin SIMM has eight NEC 4217400-60 chips that should be 16MB but detects as 4MB only.

The mainboard may simply not support the organisation of the memory module. It's totally normal that it then detects a different size. These chips are 4Mx4, the mainboard probably wants 1M, so it only detects 1/4 of the memory.

RiP wrote:

And the eight 4P4256DJ-M8 chips on the Trident TVGA8900C should be 1MB but detect as 256KB 😵

Detected by what? If the Trident is jumpered for 8-bit operation, it's auto-limited to 256 KB. Also, many older sysinfo tools always show 256 KB for VGA if they can't otherwise find out (or even try) how many video RAM is present.

Reply 3 of 9, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
RiP wrote:

Detected by what? If the Trident is jumpered for 8-bit operation, it's auto-limited to 256 KB. Also, many older sysinfo tools always show 256 KB for VGA if they can't otherwise find out (or even try) how many video RAM is present.

Ah yes, the memory density is probably the problem here.

I found NSSI (v0.6.0) to have a very high chance of showing me the correct amount of graphics memory (at least in the vast majority of scenarios, depends on the system)

Reply 4 of 9, by Tronix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RiP wrote:

Probably mainboard does't support 16MB SIMMs. Try with Pentium era MB, not 486.

RiP wrote:

I have Genoa 8500VL 1MB VLB videocard based on CL-GD5426 chip. When I got it from the shelf, it showed 512 kilobytes. I replace all memory chip on it and then it shows 1 Mb. So, one of memory IC is bad.

https://github.com/Tronix286/

Reply 5 of 9, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:
The mainboard may simply not support the organisation of the memory module. It's totally normal that it then detects a different […]
Show full quote
RiP wrote:

The mainboard may simply not support the organisation of the memory module. It's totally normal that it then detects a different size. These chips are 4Mx4, the mainboard probably wants 1M, so it only detects 1/4 of the memory.

RiP wrote:

I have lots of RAMs and motherboards. Only that single module has this problem 😕

Here's the video card:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/I … -TVGA8900C.html
http://store.berkcom.com/Trident/JAX-8212B.php

I think you're right because it detects as 256K 8-bit but there's no jumper to set it as 16-bit 😵