VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I'm testing this Atom D2500 mini itx board with only the onboard gpu and a ssd. Cause its igpu is not really well supported by most os with difficult config to partially accelerate the gui (GMA3600/SGX545) or using the software renderer for everything, I was thinking to put it in a micro atx case with a PCI (only the old one) video card (the Zotac FX5200) so to get some 2D/3D acceleration in linux (the igpu also in Win wouldn't be much better with only few 32bit drivers if I'm correct).
Now with the mini itx case I am using a PicoPSU 120W psu having the (disconnected) 12V 4-pins connector and the old 20pin atx one and a 60W AC-DC external psu. The external psu is enough for the board only but maybe a bit too much if I connect the dvd-drive and a 20W (?) video card. But considering how much less components this picoPSU has compared to the not great atx PSU I have (a modern low end Coolermaster 500W and some good but very old P4 Enermax 375W) would it be better for long usage, stability and eventually capacitors lifetime, to still use the modern PicoPSU? Have these psu longer lifetime and safety?

Thank

Reply 1 of 2, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many (maybe most) of the Pico PSUs pass through 12V directly, so you have to use a good 12V DC PSU with a reasonably clean, regulated output. Other than that, if you're estimating the GPU at ~20W, a 60W supply should be enough. Those Atoms are pretty efficient. The D2500 is quoted as 10W TDP, so even if you double that for other mobo devices, you've got some room.

As always, watch for crappy caps. Also be careful with your wiring. I reversed the polarity of the DC supply once and the Pico board I was using did NOT handle it very gracefully, but at least it only killed itself.

Reply 2 of 2, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SirNickity wrote:

Many (maybe most) of the Pico PSUs pass through 12V directly, so you have to use a good 12V DC PSU with a reasonably clean, regulated output. Other than that, if you're estimating the GPU at ~20W, a 60W supply should be enough. Those Atoms are pretty efficient. The D2500 is quoted as 10W TDP, so even if you double that for other mobo devices, you've got some room.

As always, watch for crappy caps. Also be careful with your wiring. I reversed the polarity of the DC supply once and the Pico board I was using did NOT handle it very gracefully, but at least it only killed itself.

Thanks. A thing I don't like of the picoPSU was the pcb directly soldered into the atx connector, not the greatest choice if you've to disconnect it various time resulting in serious force on solder points. Also it had a (classic) round connector at the end of a green wire I thought was the ground one and instead it was another (?) +12v wire for who knows which reason, with no indication about it and risked to break the psu.
But the Coolermaster 500W I have while much more than enough for the system is really cheap in the internal components and capacitors. Tot buy a good psu would cost me more than the entire pc. The external ac-dc psu is a cheap one too, no brand, running quite at high temperatures even with 20/30W load.