VOGONS

Newly made 4MB 30pin SIMMs

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made the board myself and all are hand assembled and tested too. It costs 6.25€ to send them to Chile, with tracking. It might be cheaper for you to get them from USA though.
30 to 72pin adaptor is not in the todo list at all, you can buy any sized 72pin SIMMs for very low cost compared to the 30pin ones.

RayeR wrote:

That was a 1st prototype, just a test if it will work. He wrote that if it works he make new better layout and he probably did. I didn't check later as I still have some spare SIMMs so I'm not personally interested. Anyway in this case the traces on such speed are not critical, traces between SIMM slots and chipsets are many times longer...

It may not matter in the end but I like the idea that my thing is in no way responsible for any additional deficiency, theoretical or not. These were made with aspirations of pushing out the absolute maximum out any board around (DRAM chips notwithstanding 🤣). Layout always follows best practices, with care to reduce inductances and impedances to the minimum possible in the design. I do have noticed that large motherboards with big distance between RAM, CPU and cache do not overclock or tolerate tight timings nearly as well as more compact things, this is the main reason 33MHz stuck around for so long. I never use 33MHz and always do 40MHz or beyond and everything must be able to handle it.

imi wrote:

also I like your logo 😀

🤣, thänk you ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 41 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These sticks are now 50MHz approved ! I have tested them at 50MHz on the same OPTi 895 chipset board and I had to add 1 wait state on reads, writes can stay at 0 vait states, all other settings at max with half speed refresh. Memtest86+ v4.10 passes to 1 test fine with zero errors in such config, with 0ws on reads it gets unstable and shows many errors. I'm pretty happy with this outcome ~

Reply 42 of 95, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

These sticks are now 50MHz approved ! I have tested them at 50MHz on the same OPTi 895 chipset board and I had to add 1 wait state on reads, writes can stay at 0 vait states, all other settings at max with half speed refresh. Memtest86+ v4.10 passes to 1 test fine with zero errors in such config, with 0ws on reads it gets unstable and shows many errors. I'm pretty happy with this outcome ~

very nice

Reply 43 of 95, by OzzFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if these modules would help my 486 - though I'm not sure if it'll work without parity memory and my soldering skills are nil. Did you say that 60ns 4MB 30 pin modules can be found on eBay for those of us in the States?

A (mostly accurate) listing of my computer systems: http://www.shelteringoak.com/OzzNet/

Reply 44 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last time I looked there certainly were a lot of them available on ebay from some USA sellers.

I will have more sticks available soon, I got the chips and PCBs and I will have to cook up a new batch and test them. No parity this time either.

Apparently my PCB design got cloned in Russia, a friend once showed a forum link where photos of my sticks were seen and then a little later in one post pretty much same design, with same fault in it too 🤣. Oh well 🤣

Reply 46 of 95, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, hey. Can you make me some 72 pin simms

I would love to make some 128mb simms

In fact, I’d love to talk to you about the ram in my upcoming build. You obviously seem more knowledgeable on the subject than I am

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 47 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are some 64/128MB 72pin ones going to be made but some other stuff will come first.

Here's the cloning : https://www.phantom.sannata.org/viewtopic.php … =34350&start=66
I don't know if there's any sale plans.

Reply 48 of 95, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2021-02-02, 05:34:

There are some 64/128MB 72pin ones going to be made but some other stuff will come first.

Here's the cloning : https://www.phantom.sannata.org/viewtopic.php … =34350&start=66
I don't know if there's any sale plans.

I actually just bought some 128s 🙁

this project is super cool though :p

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 49 of 95, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems now opensourced 😀
https://github.com/UpLateGeek/Let-s-Make-Some-Memories

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 50 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are from here : Let's make some memories (SIMMs)

Reply 51 of 95, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2019-10-14, 12:51:

30pin SIMMs theoretically support higher amounts than 4MB. Why was 4MB chosen for the size? Are 8+MB modules less supported by motherboards,

Tiido wrote on 2019-10-14, 13:39:

30pin SIMMs come in 4 varieties, 256KB, 1MB, 4MB and 16MB, each adding one address line over previous,
16MB support is limited to only late boards
I would make some 16MB ones but finding the right DRAMs to use is not very easy/cost effective

Albeit rare double sided “32 pin Simms” existed

They fit the same 30pin slot electrically but came in
2mb
8mb
Sizes

I had an old 486 motherboard and manual that listed support for all the sim sizes listed above
I had an old laser printer with a 2mb 32pin simm in the flesh
I also had a 1mb 72pin simm

However most all motherboards did not support double sided Simms and were even very sensitive to 3 chip Simms making the bigger sizes moot.

The bigger 30pin Simms that do exist
we’re usually motherboard specific
and not necessarily supported by newer machines
certain Apple Mac and IBM systems had bigger density Simms but these are the exception and usually not compatible with off the shelf motherboards.
They were also very rare

The strangest Simms were 64kb and from a late 8086 system

Too bad things weren’t more standardized in the early days, would be interesting

Reply 52 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 32 pin ones add a new RAS+CAS pair for the other side so that there is no need for extra logic on the module itself to create them. I have seen some sticks that do though, Apple orientated ones IIRC.

Reply 53 of 95, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome project. Don't know how I missed it. I just ordered parts/boards for a set of 10. Came out of $3 per SIMM, non-parity version.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 54 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It took a while but a new batch of 56 sticks is now available : https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?107626- … 0ns-30pin-SIMMs

Reply 55 of 95, by 16ShadesOfOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Tiido, would you consider doing 40-pin SIMMs? They're basically impossible to find. They're used in Toshiba T5200, T8500 and Acer 730C machines. There's a pinout here:

https://old.pinouts.ru/Memory/simm_40pin_pinout.shtml

IanB on Vogons also made a mod to use 72-Pin SIMMs in a 40-pin slot, but it's quite daunting: Toshiba T5200 mods and upgrades

Thoughts? Cheers

💻 Toshiba T5200 info
💻 Toshiba T3200SX info
💻 Toshiba T3200 info

Reply 56 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Main problem is I cannot test them myself due to having no hardware using them, nor do I have any sticks to get measurements etc. from either.

It looks like there's room for up to 8MB per stick. I imagine most sticks out there are 2MB sized ?

To make it happen I am going to need a stick to look at, mainly to get measurements but also to verify connectivity of the !RAS and !CAS lines.

Reply 57 of 95, by 16ShadesOfOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Tiido, I've been compiling info on my OneNote, maybe that can help - see the Memory (RAM) section:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlE-uu5DK9rJgbEPo2a7bQNpknps6A?e=uaaf5N

I believe the ones I have in my machine are 1MB, but 2MB appear most common. That being said, it's hard to find ANY RAM to buy, except here ($80USD seems very expensive):
https://www.impactcomputers.com/pc-pa8313u.html

Happy to take some detailed pics of my RAM sticks too. See my signature for some T5200 pics as well.

With 22 pages of T5200 owners upgrading and modding their machines, I'm sure many others would be keen too 😇!
Toshiba T5200 mods and upgrades

💻 Toshiba T5200 info
💻 Toshiba T3200SX info
💻 Toshiba T3200 info

Reply 58 of 95, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The photos I see show parity chips, but the pinout on the pinouts site has no room for them so the pinout definitely will not apply.

I would definitely need one of the original sticks if I were gonna make something. It looks like there's need to have 2MB, 4MB and 8MB sticks to max out the memory or perhaps the whole memory board needs a replacement so that whatever capacity it can provide can be filled up with one board without any of the soldered on stuff getting in the way...

Reply 59 of 95, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2021-06-30, 13:56:

The photos I see show parity chips, but the pinout on the pinouts site has no room for them so the pinout definitely will not apply.

I would definitely need one of the original sticks if I were gonna make something. It looks like there's need to have 2MB, 4MB and 8MB sticks to max out the memory or perhaps the whole memory board needs a replacement so that whatever capacity it can provide can be filled up with one board without any of the soldered on stuff getting in the way...

the russian site mentions 40 pin simm for acer 486 notebook
the vogon post that has the 72pin simm attached lists most of the pinout for the toshiba one. Re: Toshiba T5200 mods and upgrades

correct me if i'm wrong but with the 10 address lines & 4 ras lines that are listed, that would make one simm a theoretical maximum of ... 2MB ?
yeah you'll need either a proper pinout or access to a max size module.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port