VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally decided to open up my old 24" monitor that has been dead for almost a decade and see if I could get it to work.
The symptom is... no power whatsoever.
So I took a look at the power supply motherboard inside, and it has one mildly ruptured and one bulging capacitor both the long barrel kind...
The ruptured one is a 1000µF 25v Elite-brand capacitor. It has (c)0919 and PET labels on it. I can't really make anything else out.
The bulging one is a 1000µF 16v with EPCOS B41044 on it. It's barely bulging at all.

Questions I have; what kinds of capacitors can I replace them with? How close do I have to get to 1000µF and 25/16v? Is a little higher/lower acceptable?
I looked on ebay and found similar 25v capacitors, and on Fry's website I found similar 16v capacitors (different brands).

Can anybody advise me what to look out for? And a reliable source for capacitors?

The monitor's sat in the closet for nearly a decade, as I said, so it's not a high priority and if I screw it up, oh well. But it would be handy as a spare, for testing systems, and eventually one of my projects is a MAME cabinet or cocktail table, for which I think it would be great.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 5, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You want to match the farad value and have the voltage rating listed or higher. Need to be electrolytic too, which is what the "long barrel kind" are called.

Make sure you don't install them backwards.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 2 of 5, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
manbearpig wrote:

You want to match the farad value and have the voltage rating listed or higher. Need to be electrolytic too, which is what the "long barrel kind" are called.

Make sure you don't install them backwards.

Thanks very much!

Reply 3 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Elite usually has a series code by the temperature rating. Epcos uses a five digit code following B (B41866, for example). If you can find me those, I can locate cross match series for you, then you just match voltage and case size.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 5, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are normally some 470uf caps that you will want to replace as well as the remaining 1000uf caps (not just the ones that are obviously defective). Otherwise the same issue will reoccur.

Reply 5 of 5, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmarsh wrote:

There are normally some 470uf caps that you will want to replace as well as the remaining 1000uf caps (not just the ones that are obviously defective). Otherwise the same issue will reoccur.

Thanks, I'll look for them. I ordered some caps and when they get here I'll give it a shot.