VOGONS

First post, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine picked up an ALR BusinessVEISA desktop system, rather like the one in another thread here, but with a 486DX-25 on the CPU card, and without a cache module card.

Would it be worth attempting to put a 486DX2-66 on that card? There should be enough room that the HSF should not present any mechanical interference with the next card (although he'd lose the ability to add an external cache card). I've got a 486SX2-66 I could try on it just as a proof of concept, but wonder if the lack of L2 cache would preclude doing anything but the very lightest retrogaming (for example: No Doom, Quake, or Wing Commander 3).

Cool-looking case, though...

Reply 1 of 2, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried the 486SX2-66, which going by the 25MHz crystal on the CPU card I suppose should now be a DX2-50, but the system is not quite stable. Usually it reports 064KB (instead of 640KB) of memory and 0KB of extended memory with that installed, and sometimes won't go beyond the memory 'count'. At one time, I got into the BIOS setup and it still reported a 387 was installed but I'm pretty sure this is an SX2, not a DX2, CPU. I'll have to remove the HSF to be sure, I suppose.

Maybe this ?X2 has a different voltage requirement from the DX25 I have... Will mess with it some more this evening, if I get an opportunity.

Reply 2 of 2, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turns out this 486 I have is a Cyrix part, the underside says

(C)(M) 1995 CYRIX USA
G5F8541V

I have yet to separate the HSF from the CPU to see the model and voltage information. Maybe there's a voltage jumper on the donor motherboard that could clue me in.