VOGONS

First post, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,

Wanted to see if anyone else has a original 5160 and has dealt with 3rd party multi IO cards getting their ports too close to the back indention of the case. Its that indention that goes around the whole expansion IO area... Picture below:

IBM_5160_sn-54627085160_rear.JPG

I have a multi IO card and can't connect a serial mouse or the gameport joystick to it because the nub (screw in things) of the cable hit the lip of that case. Curious if there are 'screwless/nubless' db9 / gameport extensions...or how tough it would be to modify an extension cable.

Just wanted to see if anyone with one of these has dealt with this problem.

Thanks!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY

Reply 1 of 2, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if I understand. Do you have a closeup and/or image where you try to connect the mouse?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 2, by hasnopants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately not on me and its kind of hard to explain... I just grabbed a pic off the internet of the back of an XT to show that indented area.

Basically if you look around the expansion card area, its indented in from the rest of the case.

So if you look around the edge of the expansion card area that indention goes back up to be flush with the rest of the case.

I picked up a multi IO card that fit two serial ports on one bracket and a game port and LPT port on the other bracket. Two of the ports, the game port and the db9 serial port on my card are TOO CLOSE to that indention you see around the expansion area so when I go to plug them in the side screws/nubs that you use to secure cords to the back of expansion cards hit that wall / indention and it keeps them from seating into the port.

was mainly asking if anyone ecountered this, and if so did they have a way to buy / build a riser to rise the port out of that indented area so that you can plug your cord in without issue.

Sorry I tried my best 😁

I might just scrap this IO card and use it on my NuXT build coming up and get a game port card (either official ibm or one that looks to have plenty of space away from that indention) and get microsoft inport card or something that uses a bus mouse.

Thanks!

Current Systems:
DIP40|8088|640K|HERCULESGB102|PCSPKR
DIP40|V20|640K|VGA|ADLIB/TNDY/COVOX
S7|P233MMX|128M|S3ViRGEDX/DM3D|SB16
S370|P600MMX|256M|SIS630/DM3DIIX2|SBLIVE!5.1
S775|P43.4|2G|6800GS|SBAUDIGY