VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So whats is your guy's opinion about running an AMD5x86-133 @ 150MHz as opposed to 160MHz?

I'm currently running one at 150MHz on this guy.

VL/I-486SV2GX4 motherboard
32MB FPM RAM
256k L2 cache
VLB S3 Vision964 w/2MB memory
also running the HDD off a VLB Promise CD4030vl-2 caching controller with 4MB of ram and LBA support.

here's some benchmarks so far
Speedsys = 52.72
3D Bench1.0c = 83.7
PCP Bnench 320x200 = 18.3
PCP Bench 640x480 = 7.0
DOOM = 47.8
Quake 320x200 = 13.7

played some Decent as well and everything seems pretty stable with no issues except for Topbench refusing to run.

20190817_144822.jpg
Filename
20190817_144822.jpg
File size
450.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here are my BIOS settings, I'm not a wiz at memory timings so if anyone has any suggestions. If I set my DRAM speed to anything but slow I get stability issues.

20190817_144840.jpg
Filename
20190817_144840.jpg
File size
650.27 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the rest of the system is stable and runs at sensible speeds, why not.

This is a VLB system, so you're running VLB at 50MHz. I'd do some benches to see how that works out. If it's stable, it probably beats 40MHz (which also needs 1WS), but I'd check whether it actually beats 133MHz CPU/33MHz VLB with no wait states.

Reply 2 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VLB at 40 and 50MHz with 0ws is possible. My ET4000W32P and ARK1000VL can do it. I've heard S3 86x cards can do it too, but it depends if the memory is soldered or in sockets.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 12, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

Here are my BIOS settings, I'm not a wiz at memory timings so if anyone has any suggestions. If I set my DRAM speed to anything but slow I get stability issues.

Unfortunately I've yet to see an FPM memory stick that can take the fastest settings at 50MHz in a 486.
I'm not too familiar with VL/I-486SV2GX4 so I don't know if the cache is at its fastest or at a slower setting. I can only rely on the 3DBench score which is rather low for 150MHz (okay it's low for 160 which shouldn't theoretically be much faster than 150) so I guess it isn't at its fastest.

FPM and cache speed is one of the reasons I prefer the 4*40 MHz setting instead of 3*50. The other is VGA speed, but if your VGA can take 0WS then it's a non-issue, if "transparent" for "local bus ready" option works that board is a VLB VGA speed demon. How could you get it working together with the HDD controller btw? This combo has already stabbed me in the back with sharp pointy data losses, even at 40MHz (OPTi 895, 0WS). A warning: maybe they won't play this nice at "transparent" and the last thing you want is an unstable HDD controller!

Does the board work if you set the multiplier to 4x btw? I had one that wouldn't even POST like that.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote:
Unfortunately I've yet to see an FPM memory stick that can take the fastest settings at 50MHz in a 486. I'm not too familiar wit […]
Show full quote
soviet conscript wrote:

Unfortunately I've yet to see an FPM memory stick that can take the fastest settings at 50MHz in a 486.
I'm not too familiar with VL/I-486SV2GX4 so I don't know if the cache is at its fastest or at a slower setting. I can only rely on the 3DBench score which is rather low for 150MHz (okay it's low for 160 which shouldn't theoretically be much faster than 150) so I guess it isn't at its fastest.

FPM and cache speed is one of the reasons I prefer the 4*40 MHz setting instead of 3*50. The other is VGA speed, but if your VGA can take 0WS then it's a non-issue, if "transparent" for "local bus ready" option works that board is a VLB VGA speed demon. How could you get it working together with the HDD controller btw? This combo has already stabbed me in the back with sharp pointy data losses, even at 40MHz (OPTi 895, 0WS). A warning: maybe they won't play this nice at "transparent" and the last thing you want is an unstable HDD controller!

Does the board work if you set the multiplier to 4x btw? I had one that wouldn't even POST like that.

I didn't do anything special to get the HDD controller working except turn down the DRAM speed setting. At faster settings, it tends to lock up when it gets to the HDD controller during POST.

I tried the "transparent" setting and it seems just as stable, granted I only ran some benchmarks and messed around for a short time but so far no instabilities. benchmarks all increased but nothing too huge. gained about 3 FPS in DOOM and maybe 2 or so points in the other benchmarks. Quake speed increase was negligible as well as PCP bench at the higher resolution.

It's funny, I have the manual for this board and it never mentions AMD in the entire thing, just settings for Intel and Cyrix CPU's. I don't even see a setting to allow for a x4 multiplier.

Reply 5 of 12, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soviet conscript wrote:

It's funny, I have the manual for this board and it never mentions AMD in the entire thing, just settings for Intel and Cyrix CPU's. I don't even see a setting to allow for a x4 multiplier.

AMD has mapped the 5x86's 4x setting to the DX4's 2x. So if you see a jumper for DX4 multiplier setting, that must be the one.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 6 of 12, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

150 with 50mhz fsb and everything maxed out(strongly dependend on the board) is The performance option for 486 class machines.
I would be interesed in your score in shareware Doom1.9, demo3(with "screensize" screenblocks9).

I once had a GA-486VS and an AvanceLogic gfx card with everything at the tightest timings running at 150/50 and it was pretty nice.

Reply 8 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

@soviet_conscript, may I ask what revision of the board do you have? The only manual available online for this board I could find is the one for revisions 2.x and it does mention AMD CPUs (the enhanced Am486DX4 in particular, though not the 5x86 which was introduced later) in the CPU Type Selection section.

If your manual doesn't mention this then perhaps it's for one of the 1.x revisions of the board, which is not available online AFAIK. In that case could you share pictures of that manual here? A while back I manually determined what most of the jumpers do in my 1.8 board by poking around with a multimeter, but it would be great to have an official "source" of info.

Reply 9 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote:
soviet conscript wrote:

@soviet_conscript, may I ask what revision of the board do you have? The only manual available online for this board I could find is the one for revisions 2.x and it does mention AMD CPUs (the enhanced Am486DX4 in particular, though not the 5x86 which was introduced later) in the CPU Type Selection section.

If your manual doesn't mention this then perhaps it's for one of the 1.x revisions of the board, which is not available online AFAIK. In that case could you share pictures of that manual here? A while back I manually determined what most of the jumpers do in my 1.8 board by poking around with a multimeter, but it would be great to have an official "source" of info.

Sorry for the super late reply. I think its revision 1.7

Attachments

• 20191111_120951.jpg
    Filename
    20191111_120951.jpg
    File size
    941.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20191111_121016.jpg
    Filename
    20191111_121016.jpg
    File size
    788.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20191111_121006.jpg
    Filename
    20191111_121006.jpg
    File size
    779.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
soviet conscript wrote:
So whats is your guy's opinion about running an AMD5x86-133 @ 150MHz as opposed to 160MHz? […]
Show full quote

So whats is your guy's opinion about running an AMD5x86-133 @ 150MHz as opposed to 160MHz?

[...]

Speedsys = 52.72
Quake 320x200 = 13.7

With 160 MHz I got:

Speedsys = 59.76
Quake 320x200 = ~16 fps

You don't gain much by 50 MHz FSB, due to wait states. So 160 MHz is the better option.

Reply 11 of 12, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My board ran pretty stable at 50MHz with a x3 multi @ 150MHz vs 40mhz x4 @ 160MH. I got slightly better benchmarks results at the 150MHz BUT I had to set DRAM speed to "slower" in the BIOS else I had no stability. So with these DRAM settings 150MHz was marginally faster. 160MHz however was stable with DRAM speed set to "fastest" and here the 160MHz setting blew the 150MHz setting away in benchmarks.

Reply 12 of 12, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

Sorry for the super late reply. I think its revision 1.7

Just noticed your reply! Thanks a lot for the manual pics, they are extremely useful!!

The jumper settings seem to also match v1.8. By the way, with the latest BIOS from ASUS, you can set a few undocumented jumpers in order to enable WB L1 cache on the processors that support it:

ASUS VL/I-486SV2G(X4) REV. 1.8 conversion and jumpers guide