VOGONS

First post, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After a little advice/sanity check on hardware selection for my in progress retro build. The system is based around using my MT-32, so a mix of DOS and Win98SE.

Video - the motherboard bundle is coming with an ATI Rage II DVD PCI card. I'm not hearing great things about this card. Planning to change to a Voodoo 1 and Matrix Mystique. Is this a good choice? Any other suggestions? Should I give the Rage II a chance?

Audio - again, the board bundle I've picked up is coming with an ESS ES1868F. I've heard reasonably good things about this card. Should I pick up a Music Quest MPU 401 clone and call it a day or should I consider another audio card?

Thanks all.

Reply 1 of 4, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/, the Rage II + DVD is - although not the best when it comes to overall DOS compatibility - still a tad more compatible it seems than the Mystique. I have no personal experience with the Rage2+ but when looking at these test results, you should at least give it a chance / test it yourselves in the games that are most important to you.

Regarding the ESS6xx and ESS1xxx cards... They enjoy a good reputation for a reason as most of the times their set-up is hasslefree and they offer superb SoundBlaster emulation (and actually working SoundBlaster Pro emulation with correct stereo-behaviour). So I think you should give this card a chance, as well.

I am sure there will be a multitude of input of other users having recently worked/fiddled around with these cards.

Reply 2 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Better get an S3 card for DOS gaming, they are cheap and plenty!
The compatibility matrix jaZz_KCS posted is a great guide to find a suitable card for your needs 😀

About the mpu side now, well you are using a pentium mmx system so I would suggest to give softmpu a chance: *START HERE* SoftMPU 1.91 - Software Intelligent MPU-401 Emulator
you certainly won't miss any cpu-power , try that and then decide if you really want a hardware solution for your system. All you need is a gameport->midi cable.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 4, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:
Better get an S3 card for DOS gaming, they are cheap and plenty! The compatibility matrix jaZz_KCS posted is a great guide to f […]
Show full quote

Better get an S3 card for DOS gaming, they are cheap and plenty!
The compatibility matrix jaZz_KCS posted is a great guide to find a suitable card for your needs 😀

About the mpu side now, well you are using a pentium mmx system so I would suggest to give softmpu a chance: *START HERE* SoftMPU 1.91 - Software Intelligent MPU-401 Emulator
you certainly won't miss any cpu-power , try that and then decide if you really want a hardware solution for your system. All you need is a gameport->midi cable.

Thanks Keropi. I'll see how Softmpu works out. Are you still producing the MQ mpu 401 clones if I go that route?

Reply 4 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep , new cards will be produced after summer time

you might also want to use a slowdown utility on that mmx system - I use ICACHE all the time to disable/enable L1 cache on the fly in order to get ~386DX speeds, really handy and you can get it from here: http://ustr.sancaleve.com/files/download.shtml
and don't forget UMBPCI to get those UMB blocks going under dos/xms: https://www.uwe-sieber.de/umbpci_e.html

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website