VOGONS

First post, by jammaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to know if there is a big difference between a 486 in WB mode (with correct chipset) and WT mode.
I hesitate between mounting a "classic" 486DX2 (mine is the lovely DX2/66 with blue heatsink / WT of course) or mounting a DX2/DX4 WB 😕
I already own a POD83 PCI, so i just want a "golden age" (5Volts) DX2/VLB system (already have a TEKRAM VLB controller and a cool artist graphics VLB CAD card) 😊

But ... DX4 WB is really attractive

Reply 1 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you can compare WB and WT if the options are a DX2 WT and a DX4 WB. WB is slightly faster (if you can get it to work stable, which depends on the chipset), but the DX4 is faster anyway.

Reply 3 of 8, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Approximatively, clock for clock WB is between 2 and 10% faster than WT depending on the application (especially its proportion of writes, where the benefit of the WB policy is).

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 5 of 8, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The actual difference depends on the L2 cache type and size, memory speed and, of course, on software running. If it doesn't fit well the L1 cache, it doesn't really matter if it's WB or WT. Nevertheless the L1 WT + L2 WB is also a good combination.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 6 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as I know there is a 5V WB chip. I think it's Intel SX955.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 8, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

As far as I know there is a 5V WB chip. I think it's Intel SX955.

Cyrix (ST) also made DX2 5V WB:

Cx486DX2-66GP
ST486DX2-66GS
Cx486DX2-80GP
ST486DX2-80GS

My Active Sales on CPU-World