VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've written about this PC before, when I was trying to fiddle with the cache on it. I found a 256k set (9 chips!) of L2 cache on eBay for quite cheap, and they aren't crappy Chinese imports. Hopefully, I'll get some L2 cache now. I can also blame the prior owners for this lack of L2 cache, as IBM advertised it as "optional," and the geniuses at the automotive repair establishment that this ostensibly came from (gauging by the files on the HDD that I formatted soon after testing it a bit), likely figured it cost less, so they cut the price there, because it was an "optional," "accessory," that added more to the price of the computer.

Anyways, this computer has a proprietary PSU connection style- something I don't like. I'm not privy to using 2 decade old PSUs without being able to take them apart and see the capacitors and at least try to clean them out- this one uses those stupid star screw-heads, so that's a no-go for me. I figured I'd buy a standard ATX to AT PSU adapter when I first got this thing, and it would be okay. I was apparently wrong.

Replacement PSUs for this system are exorbitantly expensive, and while this one works, I would rather not have a potential ticking time bomb in this system once I get that cache. I've considered just waiting to dump ~US$70 on a new Socket 3 486 motherboard over this, because I refuse to risk parts on a PSU that may or may not explode spectacularly in the near future. Rather than the normal AT PSU connectors, this system uses two special connections; the motherboard connects to the front power button, and the PSU connects to the motherboard using a proprietary 3-pin connector that does something. Without this connector connected, the system will not boot, meaning that the motherboard sends a power-on signal through this 3-pin cable and into the PSU.

My question is this: Is there any way to bypass this cable/PSU system so that I can install a new ATX PSU I trust, and adapt it using my standard AT adapter?

Pictures:

20190819_170619.jpg
Filename
20190819_170619.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File comment
ATX to AT adaptor
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20190819_170821.jpg
Filename
20190819_170821.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File comment
PSU Model Number/Information
File license
20190819_170748.jpg
Filename
20190819_170748.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File comment
Special Connectors: 2-pin connector that goes to the power button on the right, 3-pin connector that goes to the PSU on the left.
File license
20190819_170642.jpg
Filename
20190819_170642.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File comment
Accompanying connectors on motherboard: 3-pin connector that goes to the PSU on the right, 2-pin connector that goes to the power button on the left, below the SMC chip.
File license

A little while back I tried manually jumping the green/black wires while the PSU was plugged into the motherboard, and got it to POST and go into BIOS once or twice, but the power light flashed at a high speed, and it was difficult as hell to hold it in the right place before I'd slip and the system would shut off. This makes me think that a more solid bypass might be possible, but until I know exactly what that 3-pin connector does other than sending the signal to turn the PSU on, I don't want to go any further.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 4, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Torx security head screw drivers are plentiful. You can get a cheap set from most hardware outlets. Even some $2 shops have bits which are fine for light usage.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-08-19, 22:08. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 4, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assume that the screws in the power supply are torx? If so, you can get a torch screwdriver and open it up to make sure that there's no obvious signs of an imminent failure, such as leaking or blown capacitors. If everything looks good, you're more than likely going to be okay, as long as you keep it cool.

If you're worried about the capacitors holding a charge, just unplug everything, then press the power button when everything is unplugged to make sure it's discharged.

Also use it as an opportunity to clean any dust out of the power supply.

Reply 3 of 4, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

Torx security head screw drivers are plentiful. You can get a cheap set from most hardware outlets. Even some $2 shops have bits which are fine for light usage.

DankEngihn wrote:

I assume that the screws in the power supply are torx? If so, you can get a torch screwdriver and open it up to make sure that there's no obvious signs of an imminent failure, such as leaking or blown capacitors. If everything looks good, you're more than likely going to be okay, as long as you keep it cool.

If you're worried about the capacitors holding a charge, just unplug everything, then press the power button when everything is unplugged to make sure it's discharged.

Also use it as an opportunity to clean any dust out of the power supply.

I get paid tomorrow, so I can probably get a set of them. It is a Torx security screw. I find these things annoying, especially with the "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE YOU WILL DIE IF YOU TOUCH THE INSIDE OF THIS PSU FOR MORE THAN 0.00005 SECONDS."

I've taken apart over a dozen PSUs now to no ill effect. As long as you don't specifically look for the leads to the capacitors on the bottom of the motherboard and bridge them with a wet, soapy finger, I doubt it would do anything. Obviously, you shouldn't open one while plugged in, but if you're doing that in the first place there's something more unfortunate going on than just ambiguity about the condition of the PSU.

Where am I?