Reply 120 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
red-ray wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I'm using the Microsoft default CL-5434 drivers, so perhaps I'll install the Diamond drivers.

There is a CL 5434-HC-C chip in the ISA GPU I use for testing and all is OK on both W2K SP4 + NT 4.00 SP6a using the stock Microsoft drivers.

I plan to install 2003 Enterprise Server, NT 3.51 and W98 over the next few days.

I can confirm that the Diamond driver did not help. And that BSOD causes errors on the hard drive. Perhaps CPU-Z and SIV cannot work with the VLSI Topcat chipset? This is/was a fairly uncommon pure 386 chipset. Kixs tested his SXL2-66 with a newer 386/486 hybrid chipset.

It seems strange that both CPUZ and SIV suffer this issue. If NT 3.51 was on the system then you could do SIV32O -NODRIVER which would mean the SIV kernel mode code was not used, but with W95 I/O ports are accessible in user mode and currently there is no way to stop SIV accessing then, but I have a plan, let me ponder it for a while... Has Kixs tried SIV on his SXL2-66?, I wonder what would happen.

I wonder if it's detected as a Cyrix CPU and the writes to I/O port 0x22 trigger the issue, if I create a new test SIV would you like to try SIV32L -NOCYRIX -DBGINI > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more? In general if I had the debug output I would have a better idea as to what might be happening.

2003 Enterprise Server won't install, invalid MP configuration, so I am trying WXP SP3 and so far so good

Last edited by red-ray on 2019-09-05, 08:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 121 of 1037, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I probably won't be able to test SIV and CPU-Z on my SXL-66 w/Win95 because crashes are causing hard drive data loss, usually system files. I've been able to install numerous software without any crashes, but when I run SIV and get a BSOD, system files go missing. When I reboot, scandisk files lost fragments and converts them into FILE0001.CHK, *02.CHK, etc. I've never known what to do with those *.CHK files. I find out that something important is missing if I run some program and it says a DLL is missing. Then I have to grab the DLL from another Win95c setup. I'm pretty sure the issue is with SCSI DMA and the L1 cache of the SXL. Once I get grub4dos setup and NT4, I'll clone the SD card for easy recovery.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 122 of 1037, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I probably won't be able to test SIV and CPU-Z on my SXL-66 w/Win95 because crashes are causing hard drive data loss, usually system files. I've been able to install numerous software without any crashes, but when I run SIV and get a BSOD, system files go missing. When I reboot, scandisk files lost fragments and converts them into FILE0001.CHK, *02.CHK, etc. I've never known what to do with those *.CHK files. I find out that something important is missing if I run some program and it says a DLL is missing. Then I have to grab the DLL from another Win95c setup. I'm pretty sure the issue is with SCSI DMA and the L1 cache of the SXL. Once I get grub4dos setup and NT4, I'll clone the SD card for easy recovery.

yes it may be better to stop before more damage occur on your HDD.
Thanks for all your time and efforts anyway 😉

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 123 of 1037, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no valuable data on the system which cannot be replicated, but reinstalling the OS and software on slower systems like this takes a full day. I'm pretty close to having my W95c system back to its pre-crashed state. Then I'll work on installing NT4 on a separate HDD drive (different SCSI ID on SCSI2SD). If NT4 works, I'll install software and backup, otherwise, I'll install NT 3.51. Then I'll look into grub4dos. And finally, clone my SCSI2SD 64 GB disk. Then if tests are still needed, I can move forward.

I thought the Win crash-to-missing system files was due to SCSI DMA and L1 cache coherency, but when I think back to my other systems which have a regular SCSI HDD and a newer 486, I think Win95 exhibits similar responses. Does this sound familiar? I recall Win98SE not having such a problem.

Reply 124 of 1037, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As promised, here are the screenshots, on my P133 rig:

• Shuttle HOT-555A Socket VII i430VX Motherboard w/ 512kB of L2 cache
  • Pentium 133mHz CPU (will soon swap for a Pentium 233mHz MMX)
  • 80mB of EDO SIMMS (2x8mB + 2x32mB)

Surprisingly, CPU-Z doesn't show anything under the "Memory" tab.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_A7H7U9.txt
    File size
    261.5 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • CPUZMEM.jpg
    Filename
    CPUZMEM.jpg
    File size
    84.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • SIVMEM.jpg
    Filename
    SIVMEM.jpg
    File size
    100.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Vynix on 2019-09-08, 16:40. Edited 2 times in total.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 125 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

80mB of EDO SIMMS (4x20mB)

Thank you for checking out the test SIV, it looks correct to me. I have never come across a 20MB SIMM or DIMM, I suspect it's 2 x 32 MB + 2 x 8 MB.

1. It would be interesting to compare the 133 and 233 MMX SIV CPU benchmarks.
  2. Elapsed 5.5 Total 95 + 60 Average 95 + 60 Minimum 95 + 60 Maximum 95 + 60 CPU Time 5.36 - Intel Pentium (P54CS) 133MHz [cC0]
  3. Elapsed 5.3 Total 185 + 69 Average 185 + 69 Minimum 185 + 69 Maximum 185 + 69 CPU Time 4.67 - Intel Pentium MMX Overdrive (P55C Tillamook) 200MHz [xB1]
Last edited by red-ray on 2019-09-05, 19:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 126 of 1037, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not really sure of the exact capacity of the SIMMs in my P133 rig, I do know there are 4 SIMMs, but there is no stickers on them, and nothing that I can make out on the chips/ICs.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 127 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

I'm not really sure of the exact capacity of the SIMMs in my P133 rig, I do know there are 4 SIMMs.

I guess one way to tell would be to install them one by one and see what the BIOS reports.

I have just uploaded SIV 5.41 Beta-26 which contains the 430VX support so you should use this rather than the test SIV I created for your system,

Reply 128 of 1037, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This might be doable, but given how badly the mobo is laid out (the SIMM slots are located right by the PSU connector 😵 quite the tight fit) this might be trickier than expected.

I'll see what I can do and'll report back once that is done.

Reply 129 of 1037, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SIV vs. AIDA64.jpg
Filename
SIV vs. AIDA64.jpg
File size
433.97 KiB
Views
File license

Clock speed detection needs a fix 😒

BIOS settings : 8yv4eQc.jpg

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_LGA1366.txt
    File size
    350.89 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license

157143230295.png

Reply 130 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

Clock speed detection needs a fix 😒

Thank you for the report and WOW, a Westmere-EP running 98SE! To correctly report such CPUs then SIV needs to read some MSRs, but as it does not have a VXD can't. Can you boot Windows NT/XP or later? If so then I expect SIV to get things correct as it does have drivers for Windows NT 3.51 and later, does it? It should look similar to my X58 system which reports as below.

I considered developing a VXD for Windows 9X and currently have no plans to do this as structured exception handlers (__try { … } _except() { … }) are not supported within VXDs and by design SIV needs these.

On the plus side I was pleased to see SIV correctly reported the cache topology even when only 1 of the 12 CPUs was reported/supported by Windows 98SE.

red-ray wrote:
  1. Systems and GPUs I would like to test on
  2. SIV is designed for Windows NT so if you have both NT and 9X use the NT system as more will be reported.

I have just updated the initial post to comment of Windows 9X support for Pentium III and later CPUs.

I just noticed after 100 posts I changed from "Newbe" to "Member" and you are "Oldbie". I would like to change it to "SIV Developer", but can't find a way to do this, is it possible please?

file.php?id=68239

Attachments

• REG.png
    Filename
    REG.png
    File size
    212.78 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Windows 7 X58 system
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2019-09-07, 10:09. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 131 of 1037, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

red-ray: I have similar, although a bit less crazy rig with Socket 775 Pentium 6500K running Win 98, would you be interested in results from that rig as well?

Also, I was doing some screenshots to promote these recent tools developments, and after checking, it seems, that on my laptop actual asked and FSB isn't correctly detected. Is that correct? I will provide detail report, once I got home.

SIV.png

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 132 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:

My laptop actual asked and FSB isn't correctly detected. Is that correct?

Thank you for checking out SIV and the FSB is again down to SIV not having a VXD to read the MSRs. With P-III laptops the FSB to CPU ratio changes and as SIV can't read the MSR on W9X it get's it wrong. The "Slot 1" is also down to not being able to read MSRs, 0x17 in this case. I suspect if you 100% load the CPU the speeds will be reported as about 450 and 100 MHz, are they? I think Menu->Machine->CPU Benchmark is there on W9X and would do this.

Do you see the same issues with Windows NT/2K/XP/7 ? I suspect not, but if you do then I will fix then once you post the two SIV save files.

Last edited by red-ray on 2019-09-07, 11:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 133 of 1037, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, both CPU-Z and HWiNFO detected around 100MHz. I will try to put some stress on CPU and will report back. Unfortunately regarding NT grade OS, I don't have any other OS installed on that laptop besides 98 (since there's only 10GB drive).

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 134 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:

I don't have any other OS installed on that laptop besides 98 (since there's only 10GB drive).

What does Menu->Hardware->CPUID->CPU-0 report? I suspect it will be about 100 MHz as the CPU would have been busy when SIV started.

My Dual Intel Pentium II Overdrive (Deschutes) only had a 2GB drive on which I have W95 + NT 3.10 + NT 4.00 (<250MB) + W2K (<1GB). I guess your drive is FAT32, so you should need W2K. I would shrink it down to 9GB and create a 1GB volume to install W2K on.

file.php?id=68246

Attachments

• RDO.png
    Filename
    RDO.png
    File size
    30.45 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    \\RDO Volumes
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 135 of 1037, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red-ray wrote:

I just noticed after 100 posts I changed from "Newbe" to "Member" and you are "Oldbie". I would like to change it to "SIV Developer", but can't find a way to do this, is it possible please?

Well... We haven't introduced any custom member ranks to the phpBB setup in like 15+ years, why start now? 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 136 of 1037, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose if the forum is around long enough, adding a rank for 10k posts may be something to consider. Not sure what you’d call it though.

Reply 137 of 1037, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See SIV result as attached for Dual P233 MMX on S1562D (i430HX).

The system is buggy with the 512kb cache installed, but I was able to perform all tests without an issue.

The system has 4*32 EDO ram in 4 of the 8 banks, but this is strangely reported in SIV : A0 +A1 are reported as 32MB, A2 and A3 are "not installed".

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_DUALP233.zip
    File size
    101.35 KiB
    Downloads
    46 downloads
    File license

Reply 138 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flupke11 wrote:

The system has 4*32 EDO ram in 4 of the 8 banks, but this is strangely reported in SIV : A0 +A1 are reported as 32MB, A2 and A3 are "not installed".

1. Thank you, this is the first report I have ever had from a Dual Pentium and given this I feel SIV did OK. I noticed a few things though.
  2. CPU-0 is Pentium MMX rather than a Pentium MMX MP, might this be the reason for your stability issues?
  3. The [Chipset MCH] panel only reported two of the four DIMMs so I have fixed this for 5.41 Beta-27 which I have just released.
  4. The A2 and A3 are "not installed" is down to the BIOS as it sets up the DMI data that the [Machine] panel reports, it's a case of garbage in -> garbage out.
  5. After I fixed [Chipset MCH] I realised the motherboard had eight SIMM slots, so how come the BIOS only sets up four in the DMI? I suspect if you move the SIMMs from slots 6 + 7 to 2 + 3 all 4 will be reported in the DMI data.
  6. Please may I have SIV_DUALP233.dmi? This is the raw data that the [Machine] panel displays and SIV runs better in test mode when I have it.

file.php?id=68304

Attachments

• 82439HX.png
    Filename
    82439HX.png
    File size
    43.89 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Fixed [Chipset MCH]
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2019-09-08, 14:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 139 of 1037, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have another report from my P133, so far, I could not determine the size of the SIMMs, they are hard to reach (last time I removed them to clean the contacts, [because when I got the rig, it was quite dirty, and initially, it only detected 16MB, so it may be possible that it has 2x32+2x8MB SIMMs in it] I had to actually remove the PSU 😵).

My motherboard also has SDRAM slots, but of course, I don't have SDRAM sticks at the moment (the only two I have are in my iMac G3/400DV).

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_A7H7U9.txt
    File size
    262.86 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license
  • P2.jpg
    Filename
    P2.jpg
    File size
    93.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • P1.jpg
    Filename
    P1.jpg
    File size
    99.69 KiB
    Views
    File license