VOGONS

Reply 280 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-10, 20:12:

Thx for having interest. I am getting tired, I think I will continue tomorrow. I will for sure not switch to Windows NT, because I will mostly use the DOS part of Windows 98SE. The windows part I use to transfer files and screenshots 😁

I will provide those log files, but - after reading your private message I have a question - shall I continue with the latest beta version or with the latest version 5.44?

I was not expecting you to switch to NT, but rather wondering if you had setup the system as multi-boot, many of my old systems have a two or three of W9x + NT4 +W2K + WXP + 2003 + … installed.

As for the latest beta vs. 5.44 it does not really matter as none of the changes are likely to impact your system, but once I adjust things you will obviously need to use an updated version and I will probably post a special test build just for you.

Reply 281 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-10, 20:27:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-10, 20:12:

Thx for having interest. I am getting tired, I think I will continue tomorrow. I will for sure not switch to Windows NT, because I will mostly use the DOS part of Windows 98SE. The windows part I use to transfer files and screenshots 😁

I will provide those log files, but - after reading your private message I have a question - shall I continue with the latest beta version or with the latest version 5.44?

I was not expecting you to switch to NT, but rather wondering if you had setup the system as multi-boot, many of my old systems have a two or three of W9x + NT4 +W2K + WXP + 2003 + … installed.

As for the latest beta vs. 5.44 it does not really matter as none of the changes are likely to impact your system, but once I adjust things you will obviously need to use an updated version and I will probably post a special test build just for you.

One last posting from me today 😁
I switched to the beta version (should not matter as you wrote)
and got

Attachments

• siv_conv_cpu.jpg
    Filename
    siv_conv_cpu.jpg
    File size
    108.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    SIV_P.txt
    File size
    194.38 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license

Reply 282 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-10, 20:39:

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. Please replace SIV32L.exe 5.45 Beta-13 with the attached SIV32L.exe 5.45 GPU-PnP-14 test SIV and see what happens. So I can check how it does generate a new Menu->File->Save Local file and post it.

I pondered your GPU and have implemented generic support for PnP GPUs and assuming all the new code works SIV should report the GPU clocks .

Looking at [ CPU MHz ] then most of the time SIV got pretty close to 133MHz so I have adjusted the start-up speed measurement to try a few times and use the maximum. So I can check how long it takes to measure the speed then from a MS-DOS command window do SIV32L -DBGINI > SIV_DBGOUT.log and post SIV_DBGOUT.log.

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-11, 18:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 283 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-10, 23:36:
Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. Please replace SIV32L.exe 5.45 Beta-13 with the attached SIV32L.exe 5.45 GPU-PnP-14 t […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-10, 20:39:

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. Please replace SIV32L.exe 5.45 Beta-13 with the attached SIV32L.exe 5.45 GPU-PnP-14 test SIV and see what happens. So I can check how it does generate a new Menu->File->Save Local file and post it.

I pondered your GPU and have implemented generic support for PnP GPUs and assuming all the new code works SIV should report the GPU clocks .

Looking at [ CPU MHz ] then most of the time SIV got pretty close to 133MHz so I have adjusted the start-up speed measurement to try a few times and use the maximum. So I can check how long it takes to measure the speed then from a MS-DOS command window do SIV32L -DBGINI > SIV_DBGOUT.log and post SIV_DBGOUT.log.

Thank you.

Test with the update, still 100% stable.
I see now values for GPU: clock and memory, nice.
Attached should be the 2 files, I added a postfix 2020-02-11 to both.
In the main window is still 112MHz displayed.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_P_2020-02-11.txt
    File size
    194.2 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_DBGOUT-2020-02-11.log
    File size
    3.89 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license

Reply 284 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-11, 15:54:

Thank you for checking out the new test SIV. I think I have found out why SIV comes up with 112 MHz, this is the speed Windows 98SE reports! If you look at HKLM\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0 and in there I expect you will see ~MHz which will be a DWORD with a value of 112 or 0x70. Looking in the current log there is DBGINI 6710 CPU Speed of 112.000 MHz in 0.000 seconds 0.0E+0 Instructions @ 15 AAM cycles which is how I found this. With Port-14 there should be five of these lines, is there?

I have decided SIV should not trust Windows 98 so have reworked the code not to. Please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 Port-14 and generate new Menu->File->Save Local files.

I have also adjusted the GPU speed reporting to use CM_Get_Res_Des_Data(), etc. as there is no PCI config space to read the I/O Port from. Below is a screen shot showing this for a PCI GPU, but it should also work for your EISA GPU and I suspect PnP ISA GPUs on all of W9x + W2K and later, it will not work on NT4.
I am too am working on a new panel to report the EISA slots, but at the moment it does not work and crashes out on my W98SE system, so don't try Menu->System->ISA Bus.

file.php?id=76730

Attachments

• RVN.png
    Filename
    RVN.png
    File size
    33.78 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    [GPU Info] showing I/O Ports
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-12, 16:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 285 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-11, 23:21:
Thank you for checking out the new test SIV. I think I have found out why SIV comes up with 112 MHz, this is the speed Windows 9 […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-11, 15:54:

Thank you for checking out the new test SIV. I think I have found out why SIV comes up with 112 MHz, this is the speed Windows 98SE reports! If you look at HKLM\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0 and in there I expect you will see ~MHz which will be a DWORD with a value of 112 or 0x70. Looking in the current log there is DBGINI 6710 CPU Speed of 112.000 MHz in 0.000 seconds 0.0E+0 Instructions @ 15 AAM cycles which is how I found this. With Port-14 there should be five of these lines, is there?

I have decided SIV should not trust Windows 98 so have reworked the code not to. Please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 Port-14 and generate new Menu->File->Save Local files.

I have also adjusted the GPU speed reporting to use CM_Get_Res_Des_Data(), etc. as there is no PCI config space to read the I/O Port from. Below is a screen shot showing this for a PCI GPU, but it should also work for your EISA GPU and I suspect PnP ISA GPUs on all of W9x + W2K and later, it will not work on NT4.
I am too am working on a new panel to report the EISA slots, but at the moment it does not work and crashes out on my W98SE system, so don't try Menu->System->ISA Bus.

file.php?id=76730

Hi,

you are right about the registry entry, I will add a screenshot.

GPU Info gives more realistic values now, but I don't know if the values are correct. Before it had memory speed 83MHz, would have been incredible fast 😁
I will add a screenshot + the Save Local File.

Waiting for the EISA page 😀 Will the SCSI drives show up, too?

Attachments

Reply 286 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-12, 14:02:

Thank you for your testing and I feel I am making progress. Please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 EISA-14 which should have a working Menu->System->ISA Bus 😀, does it run OK? Once it does II will look to fill in the missing information.

I asked around and found out how to report SMART for SATA/PATA drivers on W9x 😀, but not SCSI 🙁. Given the age of your SCSI disks I doubt they even support the Informational Exceptions Log Page let alone the Temperature one, do they?

I have made some more adjustments to the GPU reporting, but I learnt the Mach32 is very different to the Mach64 and currently we don't think it's possible to read the actual clocks. I had also refined [ Cache -0 Latency ] which managed to deduce there is a 256KB L2 cache.

Please may I have a [ ISA Bus ] screen shot and as usual a new Menu->File->Save Local file.

Attachments

• RXP.png
    Filename
    RXP.png
    File size
    91.53 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Supported Log Pages
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-12, 21:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 287 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-12, 18:45:
Thank you for your testing and I feel I am making progress. Please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 EISA-14 which should have a wo […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-12, 14:02:

Thank you for your testing and I feel I am making progress. Please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 EISA-14 which should have a working Menu->System->ISA Bus 😀, does it run OK? Once it does II will look to fill in the missing information.

I asked around and found out how to report SMART for SATA/PATA drivers on W9x 😀, but not SCSI 🙁. Given the age of your SCSI disks I doubt they even support the Informational Exceptions Log Page let alone the Temperature one, do they?

I have made some more adjustments to the GPU reporting, but I learnt the Mach32 is very different to the Mach64 and currently we don't think it's possible to read the actual clocks. I had also refined [ Cache -0 Latency ] which managed to deduce there is a 256KB L2 cache.

Please may I have a [ ISA Bus ] screen shot and as usual a new Menu->File->Save Local file.

Thx for the update.
Unfortunately the menu point "ISA Bus" under system is not here anymore.
So I cannot send a screenshot of it.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_P-2020-02-12_2.txt
    File size
    195.95 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license

Reply 288 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-12, 20:04:

Thank you for checking it out. The reason ISA Bus is missing is that my check for an EISA system must be failing, so I guessed why. Please try again with the attached SIV32L 5.45 Find-15 and if it's still absent then do SIV32L -DBGINI > SIV_DBGOUT.log and post the .LOG file. I don't need a new save file.

If only I had an EISA system here I could sort it in about 2 minutes simply by running the MSVC debugger. Of a positive note the GPU changes I made look good and I think the CPU speed is now OK, do you?

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-12, 22:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 289 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-12, 21:14:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-12, 20:04:

Thank you for checking it out. The reason ISA Bus is missing is that my check for an EISA system must be failing, so I guessed why. Please try again with the attached SIV32L 5.45 Find-15 and if it's still absent then do SIV32L -DBGINI > SIV_DBGOUT.log and post the .LOG file. I don't need a new save file.

If only I had an EISA system here I could sort it in about 2 minutes simply by running the MSVC debugger. Of a positive note the GPU changes I made look good and I think the CPU speed is now OK, do you?

Thx. It seems, that will be still not the final version.
Menu ISA bus is here now.

What I meant before "to show SCSI disks" was just listing it.
Now they are neither visible in "drives" nor under "scsi".
Only in "All devices" they show up.

Attachments

• siv_mic_all_devs.jpg
    Filename
    siv_mic_all_devs.jpg
    File size
    102.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • siv_mic_isa_bus.jpg
    Filename
    siv_mic_isa_bus.jpg
    File size
    61.9 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 290 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-12, 21:35:

It seems, that will be still not the final version. Only in "All devices" they show up.

Thank you, please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 Mask-15 which I suspect will improve [ISA Bus]. On the initial screen it should now display Micronics EISA 486/33/25 System Board and the L2 Cache Size should be there.

The disks should also be on [Device Tree] and I suspect a few other panels, search the save file to find which.

Please may I have a new Menu->File->Save Local file?

BTW I find .PNG gives clearer/sharper images than .JPG for screen shots.

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-13, 01:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 291 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-12, 23:28:
Thank you, please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 Mask-15 which I suspect will improve [ISA Bus]. On the initial screen it should […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-12, 21:35:

It seems, that will be still not the final version. Only in "All devices" they show up.

Thank you, please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 Mask-15 which I suspect will improve [ISA Bus]. On the initial screen it should now display Micronics EISA 486/33/25 System Board and the L2 Cache Size should be there.

The disks should also be on [Device Tree] and I suspect a few other panels, search the save file to find which.

Please may I have a new Menu->File->Save Local file?

BTW I find .PNG gives clearer/sharper images than .JPG for screen shots.

Awesome.
Some minor points: 256kB is still not detected /shown.
The sound blaster 16 is not shown under ISA devices (the only ISA card in the system. All the EISA cards are shown).

Attachments

• siv_mic_isa_bus2.jpg
    Filename
    siv_mic_isa_bus2.jpg
    File size
    71.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • siv_mic_start.jpg
    Filename
    siv_mic_start.jpg
    File size
    62.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_P-2020-02-13.zip
    File size
    44.01 KiB
    Downloads
    61 downloads
    File license

Reply 292 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-13, 00:05:

The sound blaster 16 is not shown under ISA devices (the only ISA card in the system. All the EISA cards are shown).

Thank you, please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 Disk-15 which should have the L2 cache and tidy [ ISA Bus ], may I have a new save please?

I will have a look to see what else I should add to [ ISA Bus ].

Edit 1: I spotted the logo was suboptimal so adjusted it for SIV32L 5.45 Logo-15 😀
Edit 2: I added a few more things for SIV32L 5.45 Disk-15 , you should be able to guess what 😀

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-13, 16:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 293 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-13, 02:07:
Thank you, please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 Disk-15 which should have the L2 cache and tidy [ ISA Bus ], may I have a new sa […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-13, 00:05:

Thank you, please try the attached SIV32L 5.45 Disk-15 which should have the L2 cache and tidy [ ISA Bus ], may I have a new save please?

I will have a look to see what else I should add to [ ISA Bus ].

Edit 1: I spotted the logo was suboptimal so adjusted it for SIV32L 5.45 Logo-15 😀
Edit 2: I added a few more things for SIV32L 5.45 Disk-15 , you should be able to guess what 😀

Thx. Close to perfect I would say.
Only the soundblaster 16 is still not listed in isa bus (it is in slot2).
Drives are now listed under drives and under scsi, very good.

About sound blaster 16: It is configured in the eisa config, but it's not working in ISA plug and play mode as far as I know.

I will soon test your tool with my other 486-EISA machine, it has only EISA slots, too. Cards inside: 2 EISA NICs, 1 EISA SCSI Adaptec, onboard EISA SCSI, 1 EISA Graphics card Compaq 1024/E. + ISA Sound blaster 16. The sound blaster 16 is listed in EISA config, too, but this machine works with ISA plug and play, it's a ISA PnP card ....
We will see later 😉

Attachments

• siv-start.jpg
    Filename
    siv-start.jpg
    File size
    62.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • siv-scsi.jpg
    Filename
    siv-scsi.jpg
    File size
    34.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • siv-isabus.jpg
    Filename
    siv-isabus.jpg
    File size
    129.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_P.-2020-02-13_2.txt
    File size
    199.58 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license

Reply 294 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-13, 15:58:

About sound blaster 16: It is configured in the eisa config, but it's not working in ISA plug and play mode as far as I know.

Thank you for your testing and I suspect sorting out your other EISA system will be easy enough. The blaster 16 is listed, so I am unclear what toy are expecting.

I noticed the floppies were missing from [Drives] so added them, please may I have a new save file generated by the attached SIV32L 5.45 Flop-15?

I am planning to release SIV 5.45 tomorrow, so if you wish it to fully support your other EISA system the sooner I get a save file from it the better the odds are 😀.

Attachments

Reply 295 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-13, 16:27:
Thank you for your testing and I suspect sorting out your other EISA system will be easy enough. The blaster 16 is listed, so […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-13, 15:58:

Thank you for your testing and I suspect sorting out your other EISA system will be easy enough. The blaster 16 is listed, so I am unclear what toy are expecting.

I noticed the floppies were missing from [Drives] so added them, please may I have a new save file generated by the attached SIV32L 5.45 Flop-15?

I am planning to release SIV 5.45 tomorrow, so if you wish it to fully support your other EISA system the sooner I get a save file from it the better the odds are 😀.

Hi, thx again.
Floppy drives are now listed in "Drives".
Yes, the soundblaster device is listed as MEDIA. But it would be nice if the location would be shown under ISA slots, too.
SIV would show the complete EISA configuration. But as I said it's minor (or better "nice to have")
I also attach the EISA configuration file that I used for the sound blaster 16, maybe it's useful, I don't know.

I am afraid, I can't send now the info for the other machine, my Windows 98SE setup there is not finished (it's fresh installed, too)
But maybe I can do it today.

EDIT: The sound blaster 16 is in slot 2.

Attachments

• siv-isabus3.jpg
    Filename
    siv-isabus3.jpg
    File size
    131.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_P-2020-02-13_3.txt
    File size
    200.97 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    !icu01a0.cfg
    File size
    2.73 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license

Reply 296 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-13, 18:06:

SIV would show the complete EISA configuration. But as I said it's minor (or better "nice to have")

Thank you and I feel I can't improve things with the EISA slot reporting given what I currently know. The Compressed ID is read from the hardware, but when SIV reads this for Slot two it's FFFFFFFF. It's possible that on Windows NT SIV would report slot 2, it all depends on what HalGetBusDataByOffset( EisaConfiguration,...) returns. Maybe once I have released 5.45 we can dump some blocks on I/O Space and see if the PnP ID is available. It would be helpful to get the SIV save files from any EISA system running NT, do you know of any forum member who has one?

I have been looking at how [Cache-0 Latency] does in the save files, sometimes it deduces the L2 cache as 256KB and other times not. Is the whole of the 64MB cacheable?, I suspect not.

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-13, 20:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 297 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-13, 18:27:
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-13, 18:06:

Thank you and I feel I can't improve things with the EISA slot reporting given what I currently know. The Compressed ID is read from the hardware, but when SIV reads this for Slot two it's FFFFFFFF. It's possible that on Windows NT SIV would report slot 2, it all depends on what HalGetBusDataByOffset( EisaConfiguration,...) returns. Maybe once I have released 5.45 we can dump some blocks on I/O Space and see if the PnP ID is available. It would be helpful to get the SIV save files from any EISA system running NT, do you know of any forum member who has one?

I have been looking at how [Cache-0 Latency] in the save files, sometimes it deduces the L2 cache as 256KB and other times not. Is the whole of the 64MB cacheable?, I suspect not.

Hello,

I just saw, that it's the same for hwinfo, it also reads out only the mainboard, slot 1, slot3, slot4 and slot 2 is missing.
But I did not complain about it, I forgot to do it 😁

As far as I know the full 64MB are cacheable. The mainboard has 3 times 16kx4 tag rams.
But I try to find it out, but I must rely on the output of the used tools ....

Reply 298 of 1037, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is because the SB16 is ISA, hence it doesn't support the extended EISA features that would allow identification via this interface.
The Non-PnP SB16 version can be detected directly only by testing various I/O locations. Such detection might work more-less in DOS when no other applications/drivers are talking to it, but under Windows this would be dangerous as the detection could intefer with the SB16 driver or other devices located at those I/O ranges.

Reply 299 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-13, 18:27:

I have been looking at how [Cache-0 Latency] does in the save files, sometimes it deduces the L2 cache as 256KB and other times not. Is the whole of the 64MB cacheable?, I suspect not.

The whole 64MB is cacheable by L2 cache according to ctcm 1.6 (from the german ct magazine, Andreas Stiller)