VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

System:
P3B-F, P2 @ 400, SB32
Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo (Voodoo Rush)
Windows 98 SE

So I've tested few games with so-so results but I'm seeing performance differences in some DOS games when ran through Windows. In straight DOS the work pretty good. Tomb Raider 1 and Screamer 2 run good in DOS but under Windows, they run at what looks like 1 frame every 1-2 seconds if not just freezes. On the contrary, Quake at 640x480 is ok and MW2 Titanium Trilogy works great.

I know that the Voodoo Rush isn't great but I wonder if even the Voodoo 1 has these issues? Is there any environmental tweaks that might help?

Thanks!

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 2, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

During the PII/PIII era I didn't really use DOS much, but from my experience with 486 and Pentium class hardware, I noticed the DOS versions of games always ran far better than the windows versions. Less overhead I guess.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 2, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

During the PII/PIII era I didn't really use DOS much, but from my experience with 486 and Pentium class hardware, I noticed the DOS versions of games always ran far better than the windows versions. Less overhead I guess.

So now something has changed and I'm not sure why. Tomb Raider now works perfectly although video before first level is ify. Performance is good, quite playable being just a hair short of perfect. I didn't change anything....?
Screamer 2 now just says 3dfx chip not found in both Windows and DOS...? Not sure what happend. No changes. Everything is working fine.

I like to run DOS games, especially CD based games, in Windows and I use Daemon Tools to mount images of the CDs to save my DVD drives I only have a few left. The one I'm using has no issues with manufactured game CDs but do have issues reading some CDs and DVDs. I use Verbatim disc and they have no problem in any other drive. I do save the IDE drive that reads everything for my super Win98 PC (Athlon 64 3000, Quatro FX 3000, SB Audigy, A3D card)

So, solved-ish. I'm using an IDE to SD Card and I can easily revert to a working copy.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista