VOGONS

First post, by Balleratt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Got my hands on a pretty clean and nice (at least on the inside) Dell GX150 tower here the other day, I have swapped the included 200W ATX PSU with a Corsair CX450 one for peace of mind. The old one seemed in pretty great condition though!

It's got a Pentium 3 1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
Riva TNT 16MB GPU

I have a Geforce 4 TI 4200 somewhere I plan on smacking in there instead, might be overkill but I'm sure it will do just fine ? So I am wondering what drivers I should use with this card on Windows 98 for optimal performance/stability? Should I just install the latest Direct X the card supports or can I just install the latest version, since I believe it's backward compatible with the card anyways? For the soundcard I chose a Creative Sound Blaster Live SB0100 card, and I guess I will be getting a small pair of stereo speakers at some point. A headsett will do for now.

So what kind of performance am I looking at here? Which later games should I be able to pull off on this old stuff?

Last edited by Balleratt on 2019-08-29, 10:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice setup. I believe that model can also handle Tualatin 1.4ghz CPUs, paired with that GF4 Ti, it would be a very capable system to run anything up until 2003. With your current 1GHz Coppermine CPU it is still capable.

Since that GF4 is DirectX 8 on a hardware level, I wouldn´t install anything higher than DX8.2.
Nvidia_9x_41.09 DETONATOR would be a suitable driver.

Windows 98 doesn´t work stable with more than 512MB (some even say 384MB is better), so stay there concerning RAM.

Reply 2 of 4, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Be careful about putting Tualatin CPUs in there. Only certain steppings of the 815/E/EP chipset supported them and even if the chipset does, the BIOS might not. If you've got one handy, it's not like it'll blow the thing up if you try and it doesn't work, so go ahead and give it a shot, but if you don't, don't worry about it. The Coppermine 1GHz is plenty quick. I have a Ti4200 64MB paired with my Tualatin in Glenden Wood, and it's a very potent combo. I installed DirectX9 for some games I'm playing on it (notably Half Life 2, Halo and Psychonauts -- all support a hardware DX8 card in their initial versions at least, but need DX9 on the software side). Driver 45.23 is very stable and fast in my experience, though Half Life 2 goes a little nuts on it if you have everything maxed out. More conservative settings seem to be fine.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 3 of 4, by Balleratt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys!

Yeah I will need to check up on that Tualatin compatibility! Thanks for the directX and driver tip to the both of you!

I just got another rig dropped on my doorstep today as well, and with it..a near mint CTX vl950t monitor! Previous owner must have taken very good care of it and the PC. I opened up the monitor for inspection and damn it looked very clean and next to no dust inside!

That other setup is roughly:

1.5 ghz pentium 4 423 socket
Matrox g450 AGP
1.5 gb SDRAM
Abit bw7 motherboard

So might do something with that setup at some time 🤣. I loved the case so I hope to be using that side-by side with the CTX-monitor further down the line!