VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i have this motherboard that has one of these 10 pin headers like a usb header but its a ps2 header. can i probe the pins with a multimeter to figure out which pin is 5v, and the other ones which are clock, and data how can i tell which ones those are.

there is no info about this i looked hard

Reply 1 of 10, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only method I can think of offhand with no data on the board, is to attach the header to a breadboard, and then to a mouse or keyboard, and try to read the signal off of one or both of the unknown lines. But I say this not even having one of those cheap $25 digital oscilloscopes.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 2 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ID which pins are ground and +5 with a multimeter, then figure out clock and data by process of elimination

as long as you get +5 and ground right you wont hurt anything

Reply 3 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of those pins, 5V and GND will be easy to find, the data and clock pins will be 2 that have a thin trace connected to them. You hook them up and if things work you're done, if not you reverse them and then things should work. No damage will come from having them briefly swapped. 5V and GND swapping will cause possible destruction of the keyboard and/or mouse.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think I know which one is ground becasue I have continuity between it and other grounds on the board including the ground on the 20 pin atx. The other 3 I am not sure about becasue they all give me 5v.

if i just connected the ground and the +5 and nothering else could I tell if my keyboard/mouse is getting power that way?

Reply 6 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got it. Ty all.

Here is a guide.

Find the ground by using a multi meter and connect negative lead to negative on the power supply connector. Probe the pins untill you find continuity.
Easy way now once u have the ground hooked up.
Now get a PS2 Laser Mouse.
You will know if you have +5 found if red light on the laser mouse will light up and then you know you have a good connection.

Now connect last last 2 wires swap around until it works.

Aopen I915gmm-hfs

PS/2 Header Pinout Unofficial

This board has a 10 pin 9 pin header one side is ps2 mouse other side is keyboard. Despite what AOPEN says.

If you look at all the reviews of this board it will say there is no PS2 mouse. Only a PS2 keyboard header. Aopen also only says this and only supplies a keyboard braket. But I bought one of these boards off ebay for 25 Dollars. Was a good deal IMO becasue it is a rare board now. And I plan on making the ultimate retro PC out of it.

Problem is that It came with no cables. Here is a word of wisdom for people. "No good deal goes unpunished"

So I had to figure this pin out on my own with the help of a couple people on the forum I used multimeter and whatnot.
Pin 1 this end
Mouse KBD
5v 00 5v
CLK 00 CLK
Data00 Data
GD 00 GD
NA 00 NA

Reply 7 of 10, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad you wrested success from the jaws of a Sisyphean task. I wasn't able to find any appropriate PS/2 sockets on eBay to mount on a slot cover or other flat metal surface with a through-hole and screw holes, just board-mount sockets. With those, making your own cable would be a pain, but would still be doable with just a soldering iron and heat shrink.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 8 of 10, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those of you with just a multimeter...

The +5v pin, data and clock pins will all show as having 5v when you check with a multimeter.
The data and clock pins have pull up resistors to +5v, the +5v pin doesn't.

This means if you connect a resistor between a clock or data pin, and measure the voltage, it will be pulled down, and the meter will show a lower voltage.
If you do this to the +5v pin, the voltage will remain at the same level as before.

The clock and data pins are electronically identical. If you cross them over the port won't work, but you won't damage it.
However if you try powering a keyboard/mouse from the pin then you might cause damage.

Armed with this knowledge:

1) Identify the GND/0V pin
One Multimeter lead on the case, power on, and check the voltage at each pin. The single pin that reads 0v is Ground/0V

2) Identify the +5v pin
One multimeter lead on the case, check and note the voltage on the 3 remaining pins and make a note of it.
Then get a resistor (anything between 1k and 4k7 should do), and figure out a way to connect it between the terminals of your multimeter.
Go back and measure the voltage on the 3 remaining pins, and note it.
One of the pins will show +5v with and without the resistor - that's your +5v pin

3) Work out the clock and data pins
Either:
Wire up a connector to suit the PCB end.
Solder the GND and +5v leads
Solder the two remaining wires
Plug in the keyboard and power up
See if the keyboard works (Hint, if all 3 LEDs flash, and the caps lock LED turns on/off when you hit caps lock - you're good)
If it doesn't, power off and reverse the clock and data wires.

Or:
Take your existing keyboard cable, and make sure that the GND and +5v wires are connected correctly (modify if required)
Do the test above.
If it fails, swap the clock and data wires at one end.

Keyboard and mouse mini-DIN sockets are wired identically, and can be sussed out in the same method, the only difference being that you'll have to boot to an OS with mouse support to test a mouse. If the keyboard and mouse headers are together and look identical, then it might be a good idea to work on the keyboard header first, because the mouse port will probably be the same.

Reply 10 of 10, by zach6656

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2019-08-29, 21:40:
I got it. Ty all. […]
Show full quote

I got it. Ty all.

Here is a guide.

Find the ground by using a multi meter and connect negative lead to negative on the power supply connector. Probe the pins untill you find continuity.
Easy way now once u have the ground hooked up.
Now get a PS2 Laser Mouse.
You will know if you have +5 found if red light on the laser mouse will light up and then you know you have a good connection.

Now connect last last 2 wires swap around until it works.

Aopen I915gmm-hfs

PS/2 Header Pinout Unofficial

This board has a 10 pin 9 pin header one side is ps2 mouse other side is keyboard. Despite what AOPEN says.

If you look at all the reviews of this board it will say there is no PS2 mouse. Only a PS2 keyboard header. Aopen also only says this and only supplies a keyboard braket. But I bought one of these boards off ebay for 25 Dollars. Was a good deal IMO becasue it is a rare board now. And I plan on making the ultimate retro PC out of it.

Problem is that It came with no cables. Here is a word of wisdom for people. "No good deal goes unpunished"

So I had to figure this pin out on my own with the help of a couple people on the forum I used multimeter and whatnot.
Pin 1 this end
Mouse KBD
5v 00 5v
CLK 00 CLK
Data00 Data
GD 00 GD
NA 00 NA

sorry to revive a dead thread, but is this by chance for a dell latitude/precision keyboard, the type with the controller on the back. if so do you have a writeup of the pinout that i could have? any update on the project?