VOGONS

First post, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
are diagnostic (POST) cards useful?
I mean I would like to buy one to test old (and possibly new) motherboards, are such cards useful?
Suggestion on preferred models?

Regards,
M.

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 1 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My card allowed me to diagnose three and fix two 286/386/486 systems in one month. Yes, worth it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 4, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Buy whatever you can find cheapest from China, they are mostly the same card.

About the usefulness, yes and no. If it's a clear fault at one of the POST stages (i.e. memory fault) then it's possible to narrow down the problem. However, if the problem is the mainboard itself, things get more complicated as the POST might hang at different stages and give you different error code each time. Then it becomes somewhat difficult to determine where the problem lies. Tt could be the voltage, voltage regulator, tantalum caps etc. and therefore you need to start hunting the actual cause with a multimeter.

Reply 3 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This.

Also, knowing which bios your motherboard has and sometimes which model your board is can help. I saved a socket 775 motherboard that way by looking for the error code. I also saved a 386 DX motherboard, a 286, and some 486s that way.

If a motherboard doesn't post, but outputs some codes this is already a good sign because that means there's still some life in the board.
However no code doesn't mean that the board is toasted : once I had a socket 7 mobo that didn't do anything ... Ended up finding that the bios chip was toasted so I flashed a new one and it worked !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative