VOGONS

First post, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

I have an old, beloved Deskpro XL 590 that I purchased new, used for years for games, school and work, then abandoned. I recently restored it and everything appears functional! However the battery appears gone, causing the EISA settings to reset with every reboot. It took forever to find the Configuration Utility and restore the settings to make sure the PC was functional so I’m motivated to fix the battery.

I understand it is a BR2335 battery (not common) but I was able to order some replacements. Any advice on how to replace it? The battery looks soldered in. I do have a soldering iron although I am not very experienced with it, so some help, tips, suggestions & encouragement would be appreciated. I don’t want to toast this machine...

According to the motherboard schematic on the case, there is a connection for an “external battery” but I’m not sure what that is? I do have a bench top power supply (0=60V, 0-30A) if the meaning of this external connection is to use such a supply.

Reply 1 of 1, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The dead coin cell is a 3V lithium battery and it can be replaced with a standard CR2032. Check out the distance on the through holes the current battery is soldered into. Very often a CR2032 holder will fit those fine if installed at an angle.

When desoldering the old battery preheat your soldering iron to at least 350°C. One part of the battery is likely connected to a large copper ground plane so it takes lots of energy to get the solder to melt.
Apply solder with integrated resin core to the through holes that hold the battery to improve heat conductivity between soldering iron and the solder spot.
Heat one through hole for two or three seconds so the solder is definitely melted and carefully pull one leg of the battery out. Be careful with your fingers as the battery might have become hot as well.
Repeat with the battery's other leg.
Get your CR2032 holder, check polarity and aim one leg at the corresponding through hole.
Melt the solder on the through hole and push the leg through. Wait a few seconds for the solder to solidify.
Now heat up the other through hole and push the other leg through. Again wait for it to cool down and you're set.

Posting pictures of the motherboard really helps with giving advice btw. 😉