VOGONS

Can watch 1080 on Pentium III?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could install it in my Lenovo t61 laptop which also runs XP. The mini pcie intel WiFi card stopped working long ago. But it is quite the surgery to get in there.

On your system, you specifically recall seeing an unknown device in the device manager prior to driver installation?

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-11-12, 22:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 62 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does your adapter card have these solder bridges on it? I'm wondering if this is why Windows won't detect my CrystalHD decoder card.

Does the back of your mini-PCIe to PCIe adapter card say "PCI-E 1X005"? I presume this is their model number.

If not, I should remove them. Hopefully the Broadcom chip isn't fried because of this. I left the card in a powered-up computer for several days.

Solder_bridge_2.jpg
Filename
Solder_bridge_2.jpg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Solder_bridge_1.jpg
Filename
Solder_bridge_1.jpg
File size
1.21 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

EDIT: It's actually only a 2-way bridge. That other element flaked off when I touched it with a probe. Not sure if it was a piece of flake solder or some dirt.

Reply 63 of 94, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only have 1 of those bridges. When I find my phone i'll take a picture. If this is the case it explains things. 6-7 is bridged, 7-8 is a mistake looks like. To be clear the bridge you made an arrow too is the same on my adapter, the bridge to the right of that in your picture I don't have.

KHelHwg.jpg

Reply 64 of 94, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:
Yes it is much stronger than a 8600 becasue the crystal HD will offload the decoding from the CPU. Probably XP unless I could ge […]
Show full quote

Yes it is much stronger than a 8600 becasue the crystal HD will offload the decoding from the CPU.
Probably XP unless I could get the driver to install on 2000, which I haven't tried
it will work in Media Center Classic , but it works a lot better in potplayer.
Using newmoon (aka palemoon for XP) found on msfn it should be possible to instal Youtube 2 Player plugin to make all youtube videos play in potplayer and use the card to tdo all the heavy lifting.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

To see if its possible and becasue I can.

Still nothing can beat the Hollywood+/Dxr3/X-Card solutions... 😎 ..... no ok maybe yes but anyway.. 😁

Last edited by 386SX on 2019-11-15, 16:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 65 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 7-8 bridge looked like a large flat piece of flattened solder. It got knocked off when I touched my multi-meter probes to it. Its not there now. Could this temporary bridge have killed the onboard transistor-looking component on the adapter board?

Reply 66 of 94, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

looks like you got a bad adapter card, since your card works fine in laptop and we can see discrepancies, in soldering. Hard to know, I feel bad for you but eh, I swear it works you just got unlucky.

Reply 67 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you show an image of the back side of your adapter? I want to see if it has the same number written on it as mine.

Seems more likely that my motherboard or BIOS aren't assigning resources to the Broadcom. If that transistor tests good, then what else on the adapter could be bad? Not much there.

Reply 69 of 94, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's be interesting to compare these accelerator card to the never well known/tested MPEG4 acceleration part of the Sigma X-Card one. I may try to test it having it and never really used a lot.
While the Broadcom card I tested it on the early netbooks and worked quite well with its sw player and the Atom N270.

Reply 70 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok. So we have the same adapter card. Both have a solder bridge. Not sure why it doesn’t work in my opteron 185

Reply 71 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a second computer that has one PCIe x16 slot, it's an Asus P5GL-MX w/P4 3.8 GHz (Pentium 4 670). This computer properly detects the Broadcom chip. So for whatever reason, the computer I want to actually use this accelerator on, won't work with it. ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 w/FX-60 doesn't detect the Broadcom chip. So I'm going to leave the Broadcom chip in my Lenovo T61 laptop Core2 Duo 2.6 GHz (T7800). Is the T7800 too fast to have any tangible benefit from the CrystalHD accelerator?

Reply 72 of 94, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would actually try inserting a PCI-E x1 lan card or a X1 sata card or any other x1 card into that slot to see if that slot isn't dead or that maybe there is something that was overlooked. Because I think that cannot possibly be true that a pci-e slot would only accept certain things and not others.

Reply 73 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:

I would actually try inserting a PCI-E x1 lan card or a X1 sata card or any other x1 card into that slot to see if that slot isn't dead or that maybe there is something that was overlooked. Because I think that cannot possibly be true that a pci-e slot would only accept certain things and not others.

I already tried this. The AsRock Opteron 185/FX60 board uses a USB 3.0 w/gigabit ethernet in the PCIe x1 slot normally. The PCIe x16 slot is empty because I'm using AGP for graphics. I tried the CrystalHD in the PCIe x16 and it isn't detected. I moved the USB 3.0/gigabit card to the PCIe x16 slot and it works fine in that slot. I tried the CrystalHD in the PCIe x1 slot, and it is not detected.

Not sure if it is related, but I'm running the bus async so that I can safely overclock the CPU to 2.8 GHz. Wasn't stable in sync mode unless I run the CPU at 2.6 GHz. This is probably unrelated to the issue.

feipoa wrote:

Is the T7800 too fast to have any tangible benefit from the CrystalHD accelerator?

I compared a 1080p mp4 video from my camera using software vs. CrystalHD. CPU usage on the T7800 is 48% during playback in software mode; it is 16% using the CyrstalHD. Used PotPlayer in XP.

Reply 74 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
using roytam1 browser for palemoon on XP, see here. I was using palemoon 27.https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my- ... ds-part- […]
Show full quote

using roytam1 browser for palemoon on XP, see here. I was using palemoon 27.https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my- ... ds-part-2/

I then installed the addon CA classic add on archive from here

https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases

I then installed Youtube 2 Player which turns all of youtube links into a link sender that I pointed to potplayer. Then that make all youtube videos play in potplayer and use the crystalhd.

I followed Warlord's steps to get Youtube videos to open from potplayer using roytam1's Palemoon port 28. On a T7800, CPU usage for the same video drops by approximately 25% using the CrystalHD. I would like to try these tests on my dual Tualatin 1.4 GHz system using the PCI-X slot for 66 MHz operation. I expect the CPU usage drop will drop a lot more on a Tualatin compared to a T7800.

Reply 75 of 94, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem I ran into was in order to get pot player to install and run on a CPU without SSE2 I had to use a very old version of pot player. While the Crystal HD encoder worked and was supported in the older version, I could not get youtube videos to play. I suspect that at one time they used to and that youtube must of changed somthing. As VLC and other players like SM player had these issues to and were fixed. I did not explore this or try to fix it, It could be fixable by replacing a file from a newer version, I suspect it has to do with https protocol and is a TLS issue or somthing in the older version.

I posted in this thread somwhere back the versions of pot player that would install on non sse2, id probably install that older version in a VM and try to get youtube playing in that old version which I never did but it should be done before trying to get this working on a non sse2 cpu. It could be as simple as replacing some core files, it could be more complicated than that.

maybe it would be easyer to get working in media player home cinema i do not know.

Reply 76 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you plan on doing any further testing? I was hoping to get this going in a dual Tualatin 1.4 GHz with a PCI-X slot, though I don't have the PCI-X to PCI-E adapter, I can still run the PCI to PCIe adapter at 66 MHz. But if it can't do youtube videos in XP via some player extension, it would be disappointing.

Reply 77 of 94, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I own a Dell Inspiron 6400 with Intel Core Duo T2400, 2 GB RAM and ATI x1400 video card.
Do you think it will improve video streaming/Youtube by adding such Broadcom card?
BCM970015 will cost me about 16 euros, while BCM970012 about 7 euros.

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 78 of 94, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only thing that needs to be tested, is getting the SSE only older version of potplayer to open up youtube streams in a VM, you don't need the hardware to do it. Either that or getting sse only media player home cinema or like madvr player to open youtube streams in a VM, It has nothing to do with the hardware. The Broadcom hardware and drivers work fine on SSE only. You just need a player to open streams

No one should need me to figure this out.

Reply 79 of 94, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think its more of 'wanting' rather than 'needing'. Someone may come along in due course who has sufficient interest, motivation, and time to delve into this. I have three retro events going on simultaneously right now so for me, this just gets added to the list.

What did arrive in the mail yesterday was the PCI-e to PCI adapter, which will let me see if I can use the Broadcom Crystal HD card in my everyday desktop, the Opteron 185. The card wasn't being detected in the PCI-e slot for whatever reason. I'm hoping to use Potplayer to play my iphone and camera videos using the CrystalHD.

In software mode, though, using default settings, PotPlayer consumes significantly more CPU power (according to TaskManager) than does VLC. Also, PotPlayer plays the iphone videos in a 90 degree rotated orientation. I haven't had the opportunity to look for a fix to that, but if the CrystalHD doesn't work on my Opteron 185, then I won't be using PotPlayer anyway.