User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
phantom_pl wrote on 2020-04-21, 19:50:
Quick Update […]
Show full quote

Quick Update

I managed to revive another 486 VLB board, that I thought was dead - Soyo Sy-025K2, based on SiS chipset SIS 85C471.
I tested it with "Check Keyboard Controller and Super IO" option Enabled, and with the same boards as above, except VLSIOVX VLB Promise PDC20230C board, that refused to cooperate:-(.
Pros: Nothings crashes, report is generated without problems
Cons: Still no detection at all 🙁
Logs attached.
Regards

I checked also the W83757 SIO datasheet, but couldn't find anything that would allow unique identification of this chip - everything is standard there (FDC, HDD, UART, LPT..).
Note that in the above build I posted, I also added reporting of which SIO is being currently checked, so if it would hang I can use the last shown item in status bar to more precisely track the problem.

Reply 302 of 683, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
phantom_pl wrote on 2020-04-21, 19:50:
Quick Update […]
Show full quote

Quick Update

I managed to revive another 486 VLB board, that I thought was dead - Soyo Sy-025K2, based on SiS chipset SIS 85C471.
I tested it with "Check Keyboard Controller and Super IO" option Enabled, and with the same boards as above, except VLSIOVX VLB Promise PDC20230C board, that refused to cooperate:-(.
Pros: Nothings crashes, report is generated without problems
Cons: Still no detection at all 🙁
Logs attached.
Regards

And here a new build with detection of the QD6500 card:

Filename
HWINF605.ZIP
File size
995.17 KiB
Downloads
61 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So that version should be able to detect PDC20230-B, PDC20230-C/PDC20630 and QD6500 controllers.
But honestly, I don't like detection of these cards as it's quite vague and could cause wrong identification on some systems.
Unfortunately that's the situation with many early ISA chips, they usually don't feature anything that would allow a problem-free and guaranteed identification.

Reply 303 of 683, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did tests again.
IDE controllers are detected with no problems.
Found some issues though:
- On FIC board, report detects Am486DX4-100 CPU (which is ok.), but on the screen is displayed a DX2-80 CPU (that’s how motherboard sees it).
- On the Soyo board things are reversed - on the screen CPU is ok., but in the report is not.
- On Soyo board it doesn’t detect VLB bus (on the screen only, in report it does)
The same CPU has been used for both tests (Am486DX4-100 NV8T)

As for detection of different cards in early (pre-PCI) board I think you are right. There is a huge mixture of different solutions, and each board has its own likes and dislikes. Maybe a solution is to make these tests optional and disabled by default?

regards

Attachments

• Filename
    Report_6.zip
    File size
    788.47 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license

Reply 304 of 683, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the new results! Nice to see that this detection works.
CPU clock is measured here and since this CPU doesn't support CPUID there's no way how to tell a DX2/DX4 or AMD/Intel other than the actual clock.
I'm wondering why did HWiNFO measure different clock speeds now. Is there something perhaps switching the clock? SpeedStep perhaps (just joking) 😀
Or does some of the checks HWiNFO performs (i.e. SIO) cause a change in clock speed?

Reply 305 of 683, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wish I could know the answers.
I croschecked it with CHKCPU, which gave me correct results, but I don't remember if I had done it directly after the HWiNFO report run.
What more wonders me is why report, and on screen display differs from each other?

regards

P. S. I wish 486 had a SpeedStep 😁

Reply 306 of 683, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If some of the detection methods caused a change in CPU clock speed then you might try to step manually thru the screens and first verify the clock, then open a different screen and check back if clock is same or changed.

Reply 307 of 683, by hasat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Martin, thanks for your great program, i using it on all my computers. In attachment adding log and debug file from one of my retro computers - dual socket 7 machine with 2x Pentium MMX 200 MHz.
Installed OS is Windows 2000 Server. HWINFO run without problems on this PC, but some components are not detected:
ISA sound card - Sound Blaster Vibra16XV (model number CT4170)
Monitor - but i think this is because used graphic card (S3 Vision968) dont support proper communication method with monitor (DDC2)?
Connected USB device, which is currently flash disk, from which is HWINFO executed.
Super-IO chip - UMC UM8669F.
Later i add more reports from my other computers.

Attachments

• Filename
    dual_P200MMX.zip
    File size
    19.46 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 309 of 683, by hasat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are complete specification of this PC:
2x Pentium MMX 200 MHz
128 MB EDO RAM
GIGABYTE GA-586DX motherboard
Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI graphic card with 4 MB RAM
3Com 3C905C-TX EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI network card
OPTi 82C861 FireLink PCI card (USB 1.1)
Sound Blaster Vibra 16XV CT4170 ISA sound card
IDE Seagate ST36421A
SCSI TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1401 - on motherboard is integrated Adaptec AIC-7880P based Ultra/Wide SCSI-3 Controller

Reply 310 of 683, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hasat wrote on 2020-04-25, 09:45:
Hi Martin, thanks for your great program, i using it on all my computers. In attachment adding log and debug file from one of m […]
Show full quote

Hi Martin, thanks for your great program, i using it on all my computers. In attachment adding log and debug file from one of my retro computers - dual socket 7 machine with 2x Pentium MMX 200 MHz.
Installed OS is Windows 2000 Server. HWINFO run without problems on this PC, but some components are not detected:
ISA sound card - Sound Blaster Vibra16XV (model number CT4170)
Monitor - but i think this is because used graphic card (S3 Vision968) dont support proper communication method with monitor (DDC2)?
Connected USB device, which is currently flash disk, from which is HWINFO executed.
Super-IO chip - UMC UM8669F.
Later i add more reports from my other computers.

Thanks for the test. Looks like HWiNFO32 failed to detect and report PnP devices, hence the SB wasn't reported.
Could you please create a dump of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet registry key? You can use regedit to do this.
As for the SIO chip, this seems to be some special one as none of the dozens of SIO/LPC checks provided any clues. I'll have to search for its datasheet.

Reply 311 of 683, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hasat wrote on 2020-04-25, 10:14:
Here are complete specification of this PC: 2x Pentium MMX 200 MHz 128 MB EDO RAM GIGABYTE GA-586DX motherboard Diamond Stealth […]
Show full quote

2x Pentium MMX 200 MHz
128 MB EDO RAM
IDE Seagate ST36421A
SCSI TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1401 - on motherboard is integrated Adaptec AIC-7880P based Ultra/Wide SCSI-3 Controller

Thanks! That's a very interesting looking board. Will it work with P233MMX chips? Also, it has a RAIDport II port, which I didn't realise socket 7 boards had. I'm working on such a RAIDport board now.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 313 of 683, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hasat wrote on 2020-04-25, 10:59:

Here is requested registry dump.

Thanks! Could you please try this build if it reports the SB as a PnP device and sound card too: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_625_4146.zip
A new DBG+LOG will be useful for me.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the UMC datasheet, so don't know how to detect this SIO.

Reply 314 of 683, by hasat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2020-04-25, 10:47:
hasat wrote on 2020-04-25, 10:14:
Here are complete specification of this PC: 2x Pentium MMX 200 MHz 128 MB EDO RAM GIGABYTE GA-586DX motherboard Diamond Stealth […]
Show full quote

2x Pentium MMX 200 MHz
128 MB EDO RAM
IDE Seagate ST36421A

Thanks! That's a very interesting looking board. Will it work with P233MMX chips? Also, it has a RAIDport II port, which I didn't realise socket 7 boards had. I'm working on such a RAIDport board now.

No, 200 MHz is max frequency, which can be set by DIP switches.

Reply 315 of 683, by hasat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-25, 11:43:
Thanks! Could you please try this build if it reports the SB as a PnP device and sound card too: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_625_4 […]
Show full quote

Thanks! Could you please try this build if it reports the SB as a PnP device and sound card too: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_625_4146.zip
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the UMC datasheet, so don't know how to detect this SIO.

Great, sound card is detected. Not much info in audio section, but is detected. Also connected USB flash disk is detected. Interesting...
What do you think about not detected monitor parameters? It is caused by graphic card capabilities?
New log and debug file attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    dual_P200MMX.zip
    File size
    19.9 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license

Reply 316 of 683, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hasat wrote on 2020-04-25, 12:31:
Great, sound card is detected. Not much info in audio section, but is detected. Also connected USB flash disk is detected. Inter […]
Show full quote
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-25, 11:43:
Thanks! Could you please try this build if it reports the SB as a PnP device and sound card too: www.hwinfo.com/beta/hwi32_625_4 […]
Show full quote

Great, sound card is detected. Not much info in audio section, but is detected. Also connected USB flash disk is detected. Interesting...
What do you think about not detected monitor parameters? It is caused by graphic card capabilities?
New log and debug file attached.

Thanks. Yes, monitor not detected is most probably due to the graphics driver which doesn't expose the relevant data. I can see "SAMTRON 76E/77E" in the registry, but the required EDID data is empty.

Reply 317 of 683, by phantom_pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
I have retested both Soyo and FIC boards, with manually stepping through the screens.
Results:
- FIC: no changes, Am486DX4-100 CPU in report, DX2-80 CPU on the screen (always, nevertheless the what was done first (report. On the screen mode, what screen was first, CPU detection method)
- Soyo: all correct, both in the report and on the screen. Maybe it was a different BIOS settings, or a jumper set another position? I have tried both (not all, the possible combinations are striving towards infinity 😀 ), but I couldn’t recreate previous case and make her display incorrect value .

regards

Attachments

• Filename
    retest.zip
    File size
    165.99 KiB
    Downloads
    38 downloads
    File license

Reply 318 of 683, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Report and log for SXL2-50 using ALi Panda chipset, hwi32_625_4146.

Attachments

• Filename
    Hwinfo95-SXL2.rar
    File size
    5.7 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license

Reply 319 of 683, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some observations about this run:

1) PS/2 mouse not listed anywhere

2) Uninstalled hardware is still shown in PnP devices, e.g. Gameport, IDE controller, ESS ES1868 x2.

3) Network card is listed twice, albiet slightly differently:
3Com 3C509/B Etherlink III Isa Adapter
Etherlink III ISA 3C509-TPO Network Adapter