VOGONS

First post, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I recently picked up an old PC locally for cheap which has a nice spec circa 1998:

Pentium 2 350mhz
QDI Slot 1 ATX motherboard
Nice period-correct beige case!

I added an ATI Rage Pro AGP which I had lying around (period correct). Just need to get a nice sound card and some drives.

I always fancied playing with SCSI but I never got the chance - does anyone know what gear people were using around this time?

I found the following Anandtech article from the time period https://www.anandtech.com/show/7 and it says the card they were using was an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W which is easily available for cheap online. The drives however, im having trouble with, as they seem very expensive (e.g. Seagate ST34501W), can anyone suggest a good drive that I might be able to pick up cheap? And what cable/terminators do I need? And should I get an optical drive too?

Just interested if anyone has experience from back in the day of this very expensive stuff 😀

Reply 1 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, 1998 would be Ultra-2, usually low-voltage differential, so AHA-2940U2W fits very well.

Any LVD drive should be fine, eg. Seagate drives with "LW" in the name.
As for optical drives - CD recorders were very popular in SCSI variants.
And then there was plenty of special suff with SCSI interface: tape streamers, ZIP and LS superfloppies, magneto-optical, scanners...

For LVD SCSI, you need an LVD cable, with 68-pin connectors, and the terminator is always on the cable, as LVD drives lack terminators.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 2 of 9, by JudgeMonroe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The desirable SCSI interface of the time was Ultra2 Wide SCSI, which delivered 80MB/sec with a 16-bit pipeline. The 2940 was a venerable line of PCI SCSI host adapters driving everything from scanners to enterprise-class hard drives. At the time I had an ASUS P2B-LS with an integrated 3890 single-chip host adapter (the same chips as the 2940U2W).

You'll use a 68-pin SCSI cable, which should have a built-in terminator at the end. I would not bother with a SCSI optical drive. For drives, you should be able to find plenty of 9.1 or 18.2 GB Ultra2 drives on eBay for cheap, depending on your location. They were mostly popular in server and enterprise deployments so look for Compaq and HP branded OEM drives.

Reply 3 of 9, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Think I was still running my Tekram DC390F. SCSI was a money sink back then!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4 of 9, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In early 2000 my main desktop was a dual Celeron-533 on a P2L97-DS, a couple of older 9GB 7500RPM drives (Cheetahs I think), and a Pioneer SCSI drive. As the motherboard and storage were bought second hand at the time, it would have been in use by the previous owner a year or two before that, so a 1998 setup. The CPUs were new for 2000 though, so it would have been running PII-350s in '98.

Reply 5 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had 2940U2W in 1999. Either that or a 2940UW.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 9, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the nice replies everyone 😀

I just realised that I have a box of SCSI drives somewhere in the garage salvaged from some servers, I will check those to see if any are suitable

If I dont have anything reasonable will have to get hold of a drive, but a nice 9.1GB OEM drive (as per JudgeMonroe's reply) should be affordable 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by JudgeMonroe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SBB wrote:

Thanks for all the nice replies everyone 😀

I just realised that I have a box of SCSI drives somewhere in the garage salvaged from some servers, I will check those to see if any are suitable

If I dont have anything reasonable will have to get hold of a drive, but a nice 9.1GB OEM drive (as per JudgeMonroe's reply) should be affordable 😀

I suppose one thing to watch out for with those OEM drives is a lot of them are in hot-swap caddies and may have SCA-80 connectors on them (sometimes the SCA board is part of the caddy and the drive has "normal" connectors). I know more than one such drive was, uh, decommissioned from a server at my workplace and found its way to my home computer. You can always take them out of the caddies and should be able to find appropriate adapter boards.

Reply 9 of 9, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, I still have to much. From my first 486 I had a DTC EISA setup. '98 was maybe my old Abit IT5H running buslogic controllers. It had 3 cards, one modded by buslogic with an odd address. 2 952's and a 932. I need to ebay the whole collection, Nakamichi's, Pioneers, plextors, 5 disk cage, removable sleds, 80pin backplanes, IBM 9,18,36 GB disk...$1/lbs. Ya, someone could have some fun.

I used to know what I was doing...